redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Windows 7, Access 2010. Nav Pane, Ribbon

Alright, so I am facing down the barrel of a windows 7 release. I was able to get a test machine to work on... I am having a couple issues.

The ribbon toolbar, and the navigation pane. The navigation pane is a NO NO because it links to live data from the back end. I have found this solution.....

Code:
        DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdWindowHide
        DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Ribbon", acToolbarNo
    Problem with this, it just hides the navigation window, the user can still open it. Is there a way to make this inaccessible to a "tech savvy" user who might want to wander around??

Any insight, advise, concerns, questions, comments would be greatly appreciated.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

I use A2003 at the moment, but my approach to the same issue is to have a startup form when the database is opened, and prevent users from using special keys to access the A2003 database window or the immediate window. Closing that startup form closes the database too.

You can also turn off the "hold down the shift key" feature, so that users get the startup form whether they hold down the shift key down or not.

But be careful - only turn these features off in the production version of your database, not the development version, otherwise you will lock yourself out from making any further changes!

I don't know yet how to do some of these things in A2007, and I can't say if the shift-key code I use will work in A2007, but there must be an A2007 version somewhere.

HTH

John

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yea, I know about the shift key bypass. Not so much worried about that. I found something under "current database" its a check mark that allows you do disable the nav pane... however... there is no reason why a user cannot just re enable that... Ugh, what a headache lol

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Ugh, so June7.. I am looking at your test database..... looks like the only real option we have is to "Make" our own toolbars and ribbons.. and just give them the options we want... Hmm, going to start a copy past marathon to see if I can directly apply this code to my app. Oy, way to go microsoft.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If your forms/swithcboard can take care of navigation , you can force the db to be opened in runtime only ?And in open vent of your form-
    If SysCmd(acSysCmdRuntime) = False Then
    MsgBox "Execution of this application has caused a critical error", vbCritical, "Error"
    Application.Quit
    End If

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.