Hammerklavier is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Suddenly getting "Couldn't save; currently locked by another user."

Hi,

We have a database that is accessed by various users through a couple of different applications. These applications and the database itself have been in place for a long time and have been working fine. Until the past week or so.

About four of the last seven days, we've had users encountering the error: "Couldn't save; currently locked by another user". When I try to open the database myself, I see a similar error. Deleting the lock file makes no difference.

We can temporarily resolve this issue by restoring the previous evening's database. But something is happening each night that is causing the problem to reoccur each morning.

Here are some of the things we've considered:
    Automated nightly processes that connect to this database are conflicting with one another: We don't believe this is the case because our nightly processes run on the same schedule as they were before when this database was working.
    A user that accesses the file has their Access settings arranged to lock the file exclusively: Our user settings should not have changed anytime recently. Everyone has been sharing this database file for a long time.
    The database is corrupt: After restoring a previous version, we've been doing a compact and repair on it. It becomes corrupt again the following morning.

I realize there are many details about our business processes you don't know, but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before, and if anyone can offer any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this. We're baffled at this point.

Thanks.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerklavier View Post
    Here are some of the things we've considered:
    Automated nightly processes that connect to this database are conflicting with one another: We don't believe this is the case because our nightly processes run on the same schedule as they were before when this database was working.
    A user that accesses the file has their Access settings arranged to lock the file exclusively: Our user settings should not have changed anytime recently. Everyone has been sharing this database file for a long time.
    The database is corrupt: After restoring a previous version, we've been doing a compact and repair on it. It becomes corrupt again the following morning.
    I would say, from experience of working with Access for many years, that option 3 is the most likely. Access is prone to corruption (just because it kinda sucks, unfortunately).

Option 2 is also possible, but I would tend to think it would be related to the log-on time of users in the morning. The message is thrown to everyone? Is there any pattern of who, what, where, and when, in terms of the error message appearing? The patternization would probably tell you if #2 is happening.

Hammerklavier is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    help_me_with_access,
    Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to monitor the database file a bit more closely, as we've managed to isolate a pretty specific timeframe each evening in which something keeps happening. We'll identify who is connecting and when, and hopefully will have a better idea as to where to go with this.

c_farm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I must say that your files are damaged and hence they are useless. Therefore it can be said that the third thing considered by you is absolutely right. You can't troubleshoot a problem like corruption. But yeah, you can repair the corrupt files. You need to take help from a software application that can help you to fix your problem. And I think that will be the last and the better idea that can help to go with this. Use this powerful and effective one: http://www.sysinfotools.com/recovery...-software.html
    Hope good for you. Stay blessed.
    Bye.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.