June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Issues Using IE

Apparently I am not the only one experiencing issues running forum under IE https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...841#post431841

This week started having issue with copy/paste and simply typing into post. So bad, had to switch over to Edge.

I also have to refresh page before I can edit subsequent newly added posts, my first post is not a problem. This happens in IE as well as Edge. Did not used to be case.

Are these fixable?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    I recently did a minor upgrade. The forum software we are using is very old, I'm considering a migration to xenForo.

June7 is online now VIP
    Whatever you did, IE doesn't like.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Sorry, I have stopped testing on IE for a long time, even Microsoft have given it up. Just checked the stats, on this forum 14% visits are from IE, on a general websites, only 5%.

This post was made with IE 11, copy & paste worked. IE is just too complicated, too many versions, any plugins can make it function strangely.

However, if we migrate to another forum software which is under active development, the IE problem should be gone.

June7 is online now VIP
    Too bad about IE. I tried Edge, Chrome, Firefox but IE still has couple features not finding on the others.

Interesting you did not have issue with copy/paste. I was also having problem just typing. Would have to press a key several times before character would appear, seemed like every other character, didn't matter which keys, totally random.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Sorry, I couldn't reproduce the problem, and I couldn't find any discussions about it either.

I also need to use IE occasionally, but it doesn't mean I have to use it as my primary browser.

June7 is online now VIP
    A third user describes more details of the issue in the thread I referenced.

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    This forum is running on a very old forum software, and there is no upgrade path, we are stuck here.

I'm in the process of migrating the office forum to xenForo which is developed by the same people who made the classic vBulletin. I can do it on this forum too. Many vBulletin forums have migrated to it.

I have setup a test board for the office forum:, I personally like it very much, very fast and smooth, superb mobile version, very active development.

Please have a look, I can do the migration over the weekend.

This will solve many problems, once for all.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can do the migration over the weekend.
    This will solve many problems, once for all.
    Wow. Give us all a heads up warning and an explanation of what to expect. It'll take us a while to get comfortable.
    I looked at Forum Support and found nothing about how to make attachments. Would the migration copy over the existing attachments and images?

Matrix is offline Admin
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    Wow. Give us all a heads up warning and an explanation of what to expect. It'll take us a while to get comfortable.
    I looked at Forum Support and found nothing about how to make attachments. Would the migration copy over the existing attachments and images?
    I had no plan to do this, but with the pressing IE problems, so, why not?

Attachments should be easier and more intuitive, everything will be copied over if it goes smoothly.

But it's a different software after all, it will take time to adjust, some frustration is expected.

moke123 is offline Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I think IE's end of life is slated for Jan. 2020.

edit: The Office forum looks nice!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I also like the look of the new test site.

If IE reaches its EOL next year, there is a lot of functionality that will need to be added so Edge can replace its use with VBA.
    At the moment all web browser windows depend on IE no matter which browser is used as the default.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.