techflexus is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Form to update 4 fields

Okay....

I've been trying to figure this out for like a month. I'm building a database for a company. The company has clients. Each client is seen by each of 4 classes of employees. I'm trying to create a form that you can enter demographic info about the client. AND input which employee from each class is seeing the client for how many hours per month.

I have one table that is Clients

NameFirst
    NameLast
    BlahBlahBlah

I have a second Table that is Employees

NameFirst
    NameLast
    Class
    BlahBlahBlah

I have a third table...Hours that goes like this...

ClientKey
    EmployeeKey
    Hours

When I did this I couldnt get the form to store 4 different records on that table for each employee that sees the client

I then tried doing 4 separate Hours tables one for each class,

Aparently when you do this and base the form on a query the query is read only. So that didn't work.

All I want is for a user to be able to input the clients demographics AND which employees (one from each class) see this person for how many hours on one form, And then be able to pull that information into reports later. without getting a computer science degree or selling my soul to satan.

I'm obviously kind of a noob at this so thanks in advance for your help and patience

Unfortunately I can't post what i have so far because it's all confidential information

Rod is offline Expert
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I hope I understand your requirement. Your table design looks OK. What you need is a Form/Subform construct to enable you to enter multiple records to the xref table. (xref = my abbreviation for a cross reference table, join table or whatever you prefer to call it!)

I have one observation: your present design allows more than one employee from the same class to see the client. If it is a business rule that one employee from each class, and only one employee, sees each client then referential integrity does not help; you will have to change the db design or implement the business rule programmatically.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.