cat713 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access 2007 - Integration with Excel

You'll have to ignore my ignorance as I am not very advanced with Access. I have a rather complicated Access Database and I would like to export some information from one of my tables in Access into an Excel spreadsheet.

Ideally, what I would like to do is have a drop down box in Excel where I could select make, model, serial number and the price would be inserted into the spreadsheet. The make, model, serial number and price are all located in the same table in my Access database. The only solution I have found so far is to create a program that will do this for me. As I said earlier, I am not an advanced user of Access and creating a program is a little over my head. Is there an easier way to do this?

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    your description says that you're duplicating the same data in two different programs.

why are you doing it? no-one should do it, ever. The only times I've seen this stuff happen as a necessity have been in large corporations where there is constant power struggles between many different people who all think they know it all.

if you can answer that, we may be able to turn another light bulb on for you so you don't accidentally end up wasting your time doing whatever this is...

cat713 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by help_me_with_access View Post
    your description says that you're duplicating the same data in two different programs.

why are you doing it? no-one should do it, ever. The only times I've seen this stuff happen as a necessity have been in large corporations where there is constant power struggles between many different people who all think they know it all.

if you can answer that, we may be able to turn another light bulb on for you so you don't accidentally end up wasting your time doing whatever this is...
    I'm just trying to automate one of our quoting spreadsheets. All of our prices for one of our products is in the totals column in the Access database. Like I said, I would ideally like to have the end user pick make, model and serial number from a drop down menu and populate the price from the Access database. It's just a lot easier than manually looking up and typing the price into the Excel document. Leaves less room for user error.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    so clarify one more time for me. you want to look up access data with excel's visual basic when you're quoting, using the excel sheet data as lookup criteria. correct?

if this is right on, and you want vb you might have to use the opendatabase() method. I can't remember the prefix/qualifier word though. maybe docmd()??

try looking it up. is that what you want? again, if so, your best bet is to get all your quoting information in one place.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.