Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DeniseS is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Arrow how to taylor margins to fit labels for Avery 5160 sheet

I've 'inherited' an Access database from the original owner and maker. When she set up the database so the information would go to a labels report, it sets up as 10 rows and 3 columns of labels, in order for every label to print out. However, when I run a report using this command, there is only 9 rows (and 3 columns). In trying to change the margins, I can only change the top one (not any of the others - bottom, right and left), making the labels print at the very top of every label.

I'm a 'newbie' at Access, and don't know much about it; however, I do understand it's functions and what it can do. Is there a method to fixing the margins, so that every label has the text closer towards the middle, and fitting all 10 rows in 3 columns on every page?

I appreciate any responses, although I may ask a dozen more questions!

Thank you -
    Denise

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Have you been looking at the Print Setup for the report? With the report open in design mode, go to File>Print Setup

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi - yes, I've checked the File>Page Setup window, where the margins are displayed. The bottom margin, which shows 0.585 cannot be changed. I've tried to reduce it, but it always defaults to 0.585. Do I have to re-design the label report?

Do you have the latest driver for your printer? Access needs to use the printer driver when designing reports.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeah, I think so. Spent the past two days trying to figure out if the drivers are current for the printer, and still not sure if they are. I had found on the hp site where the driver is for the printer, and downloaded that. Not sure if that did any good. I'm the kind of person who can get around the computer okay - but when it comes to the underlying stuff of a computer, I'm clueless.

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    All printers have what you call the unprintable area, this is the area around the extreem border of the paper. You may need to resize the actual layout of the label to ensure that you get 10x3.

David

Windows XP Access 2003
    thanks, David. How do I go about doing this? Do I do this in the design view of the report in Access?

I really appreciate both yours and RuralGuy's advice. I am a complete novice and perhaps getting in over my head, but I love to learn and expand my knowledge in things I didn't know previously.

Denise

dcrake is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    When you design your label what I tend to do is to place a box around the border of the report with a single field in the middle then I preview the report this gives you a visual representation of the layout and borders of the labels if they spill over either accross or down resize the box and label size until it fits on a single A4.

David

Windows XP Access 2003

Red face

RuralGuy and David,

First of all, my sincerest apologies. RuralGuy, I reread your first reply to me, and realized I didn't look at Page Setup in the DESIGN view; I looked at it in the PRINT LAYOUT view. Once I went into Page Setup in the DESIGN view, I was able to change the margins to be able to fit 10 rows and 3 columns of labels.

I feel so stupid; I didn't read and think about every word in your reply before doing anything to the report and replying back to you. Thank you for helping me - the both of you. I'm thankful this 'problem' wasn't as difficult as I first thought it was.

We're just happy you have a solution. That's great! It sounds like you are ready to use the Solved thread tool.

Windows XP Access 2003

Unhappy another way to print out labels?

Okay - this is not working. I thought it was but it's not. Is there a way to export the report into a Word document so I can try to rearrange the margins there? or would the margins not be able to be adjusted there either?

I just uninstalled the driver for the printer, and reinstalled the one on HP's website (it's a HP deskjet).

Thanks -
    Denise

Any chance you can post your db with the problem? There has to be something simple that is being overlooked.

Windows XP Access 2003
    the database is too large to attach here.

Denise

How big is it after you Compact and Repair and then zip it? This site will take a Zip file up to 2 MB. How about one of those free file hosting sites? How about creating a new empty db and importing just the report and the table(s) and queries needed for the label report?

Windows XP Access 2003

here is the zip file

Okay - here it is, in a compressed zip folder. I hope this is what you meant by zipping the file. I haven't done this in a long time, and it has gotten easier since the last time i had to compress a file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.