harris90 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Error message when opening access, cannot access the database at all

'The microsoft jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time'

Basically the access database is used on a shared drive by multiple people, this error has occured as 2 people were on the database at the same time. None of the people have a .LDB file and i cannot find on ein the shared drive. I have copied that database changed the name and location and are still unable to open. attempted to compact and repair but the same error message occurs.

Does anybody know how to fix this? or i have an archived version of the database is there a way i can extract all the infomation on this database to move to the archived one?

Thank you

Marc

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This appears to be a situation where the first person to open the database opens a file or a record, and keeps it open as long as they are in it, thus preventing another user from gaining access. My guess would be that the database automatically opens a form when it starts up. Try this - have the second user try to open the database while holding down the shift key. If that works, (i.e. they can get in to the database) then look to see what startup form is doing, and you may find the answer.

Just as a aside - if the database is not split, and everyone is using the same copy on the network, that is not a good arrangement, and could easily lead to the situation you are encountering (or worse).

John

harris90 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks John, that is the exact reason as to why the database has bugged. Is there a way of me accessing the data or pulling it from one of the tables? I tried to hold down shift but to no luck ! I want to pull the data out to put into an archived version of the database?

Marc

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I remember reading this

https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...life-7572.html

However, you could take the existing system, and Data and turn it into a back end. So we would need to create a front end file, that is linked to the same tables and such. Once you get a front end built that shares the data, using an update query you can keep the backend updated and have many users able to "hit" it all at once. However, read the article above. Depending on your situation either solution is viable.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Provided the database is not password protected and is not corrupted, you should be able to create a new database, and import all the tables into it (and every other object if you choose to do so).

Go to File - Get External Data - Import

Navigate to the folder containing the database that is giving you problems, double-click to open it, and use the dialog to select the items you want to import.

If you import only the tables into one new database, and import everything else into another, you have split you database into back end and front end.

To enable you to fix it up, go to Tools - Startup, and set the startup form to "None".

As I said, this should work fine if the original database is not corrupt.

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.