avarusbrightfyre is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Error: Could not use "PATH"; file is already in use

I have a split access database and the back end is stored on a server in another building. Just about all of my users can use the database without issue, but I have a single user who receives the subject listed error message. After some research, I found that this error usually has to do with read/write permissions. I have verified with the network administrators that the user has full read/write permissions to the folder in question, but he still receives this error. I also read that sometimes the backend doesn't unlock properly, but the lock file is gone when I look for it. On the rare occasions that he doesn't receive the message and is able to load the database, he is unable to use certain required functionality that is specific to his assigned user level in the database (I implemented custom user levels through programming, this works for everone except him).

Does anyone know why he is the only one with issues? This is the first time since I've made the database that this issue has come up.

Thanks!

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    would be interested in what else is different about this person. how many ppl do you have connecting? what time of day does he first try to log on? what are the work hours for everyone? everyone have the same OS? same SP's?

tons of questions to ask here, if not to solve the issue, then to learn more about Microsoft's crappy software if nothing else!

avarusbrightfyre is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by help_me_with_access View Post
    would be interested in what else is different about this person. how many ppl do you have connecting? what time of day does he first try to log on? what are the work hours for everyone? everyone have the same OS? same SP's?

tons of questions to ask here, if not to solve the issue, then to learn more about Microsoft's crappy software if nothing else!
    This is all on a government system that is standardized across the board. All hardware, software, operatings systems and networks are identical. No other users have ever had this issue, so I'm at a loss to figure out what's going wrong.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    perhaps this is one of the unknown bad Omens that were destined to accompany the approval of the evil one's new healthcare mandate?

I mean, if you look at the whole process from a common sense point of view, you have the fearless leader giving months and months of effort assuring the general public that it was NOT technically a new tax to pay. But yet just yesterday the other supremacy folks that hide inside the courtroom told the media literally that the penalty for non-compliance IS a tax. Sooooo....perhaps even the government agency you work for doesn't even know what's going on, and now it's spread to technical issues like Smith spreading through the Matrix?

Sorry, bad humor? bottom line, I have no answer. It sounds like a fluke. the web is probably your only hope, to be honest with ya. good luck!

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    You didn't say if each user has a copy of the FE on their computer (everyone should).
    Have you tried putting a copy of the BE on the user's computer and linking the FE to the local copy of the BE? Do they still get the error?
    Trying to isolate if it is a location problem (remote), a connection problem or code problem.

PS I am of the same feeling as help_me_with_access. but this is the wrong forum to go into it....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.