Yarbz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Change Text field to Memo Field in a Query

Greetings All,

I have a table with multiple text fields which I combine into one field. But sometimes there's too much info for the text field. Is there any way in the Query to change that field to a memo field.

I.E. I have [Axis1-1], [Axis1-2], [Axis1-3] etc. thru [Axis1-10], which I combine in to one field called [AxisI].
    [AxisI] is sometimes more than 255 character long, there for it truncates the info.

I'm somewhat of a newbie, so any help would be appreciated.
    Yarbz

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Concatenation should not be a problem. I have done this and the the length of string was greater than 255 characters.

Why do you need to do this?

Review http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_specifications.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yarbz is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why do you need to do this?
    It's for the Doctors where I work.
    The standard report has all the Axis' on a new line.
    i.e.
    Axis I: DEMENTIA DUE TO GENERAL MEDICAL CONDITION;
    MOOD DISORDER DUE TO.. (INDICATE THE GENERAL MEDICAL CONDITION),;
    ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE;
    CANNABIS ABUSE;

And they prefer to see it in sentence form:
    Axis I: DEMENTIA DUE TO GENERAL MEDICAL CONDITION; MOOD DISORDER DUE TO.. (INDICATE THE GENERAL MEDICAL CONDITION),; ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE; CANNABIS ABUSE;

In this case it's not over 255 characters, but in the Axis3 diagnosis (medical problems) it usually is more than not. If I can get that field to be a Memo field instead of a Text field it would hold everything, but... I can't figure out how to create a Memo field from a query or SQL statement.

Yarbz

June7 is offline VIP
    I don't understand why you have this issue. As stated, I concatenate fields into a string greater than 255 characters without problem. Cannot 'define' field type in a query. Data is what it is.

Unless you want to provide db for analysis, can't help. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yarbz is offline Novice
    Thanks, but the backend database is way too big (380,864 KB) and is confidential.

I ran the query and then placed it into a word file and did a word count. You were right, it stops at 307 characters, and the one I checked was 567 charaters long. So it cut almost half of it off, hence the need for a Memo feild.

Is there anyone else who has a suggestion?
    Yarbz

June7 is offline VIP
    I concatenated fields repeatedly until I got 1287 characters and then quit testing. The entire 1287 character string was viewable in the query.

Concatenation itself is not the issue. Something else is happening. The backend is an Access file?

I don't need entire dataset. A few sample records might be enough. Remove confidential data (names, ssn, phone, email). Extract to another Access file or a spreadsheet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.