amerifax is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Converting dBase forum to Access forum

I'm converting a Delphi forum to Access 2007. The forum use 4 tables linked to it. I'm trying to create each table as a browser which has it's own Tab. Each table has it's own index or filters, radio button, on the top of it's browser.See Example. I'm very new to Access. This is just the start of a very long process for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MainPagel.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	8247

Bob

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    ok, so what's your strategy for transferring data from one prog to the other?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by amerifax View Post
    ...I'm converting a Delphi forum to Access 2007. The forum use 4 tables linked to it. I'm trying to create each table as a browser which has it's own Tab.
    Two things:

First, if you're planning on developing an Access database, you're really going to have to at least make the effort to learn the basic ABCs, including the appropriate terms! 'Forums' and '' have no real meanings, vis a vis Access apps.

Secondly, if you want us to help you, you need to post specific questions! The experts here are all volunteers, and love to help people with advice on their Access-related problems, but we don't run up whole-cloth databases.

Saying

Quote Originally Posted by amerifax View Post
    ...I'm converting a Delphi forum to Access 2007.

...I'm very new to Access. This is just the start of a very long process for me.
    simply doesn't cut it. An explanation of which 'Delphi' you're referring to would also probably help! There are quite a few, not counting the home of the Oracle!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    The experts here are all volunteers,
    who said anyone here was an expert? I haven't heard anything yet, from anyone including myself, that could be considered on "expert level".

now, if you could do very simple things like understand the environment around you and teach other people how to do the same without hurting their feelings, I would say you could consider yourself "an expert".

>>ok, so what's your strategy for transferring data from one prog to the other?<<

The data is already converted to Access. The Challenge is creating a forum with 8 browsers that appear as one. The browsers are actived my tabs that display on both sides.

Bob

>>Missingling<<

I agree with your comments. Keep in mind this is the first time I have used s Forum. Over the past 20 years I have used every thing from a modem on an Atari 400 to fiber-optic cable. One thing I have found is that forums are a dime a dozen. So usually I basic question and see if I even get a response. And as you know, so many times I might get one response maybe two in a month.

This topic did start out somewhat slow but sure picked up steam within the week. I almost was not going to return after the first couple a days of no response. but now it seems that I have found another access forum that is leaning towards very informative.

I would love to learn the ABCs of access. But even if I had 20 years experience, every day would be a learning curve on good forums. Sorry about the Delphi forum which should have been Delphi Form. Sometimes Dragon writes when it should have been listening. Yes, my project is ambitious, but I am hoping to get some opinions or direction on what I'm trying to accomplish.

The version of Delphi, actually I'm not even sure anymore. The fellow that wrote the code back in 1996 or 1999 probably use the most recent at the time. It was a couple years after Ashton-Tate, sold it to Borland. Aand I do believe that Borland was the owner of Delphi. I could be wrong. I have all the code, which was poorly coded. I am not blaming the programmer for this. I should have been more proactive and made sure that the code was probably documented. Oh well, we learn.

Bob

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.