dr4ke is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Select Date Range

Morning,

I receive monthly data from a third party, once received it is exported from excel into my access database with an automatic date (the date the data is entered into the table). I've entered criteria '[EnterDate]' so that when the query is run a box comes up and asks for a date. I'd like to enter the criteria so it provides the possible dates (rather than having to enter it in) with the latest date on top.

Thanks,
    Simon

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Tell us more. I'm sure others will have some recommendations.

Ok. So, for example, if I were to export the monthly report into the database today it would automatically have '22/06/2012' in the 'Date' column next to all records (c.4,000 of them), when I exported the data in yesterday, the date was showing as '21/06/2012'. Even though there will be numerous duplicates in the same table, this allows me to show only the relevant month's data I require (If I want to see May's data, I just have to enter the date I entered in May into the box that comes up when the query is run).

What I would like, is when the query is run for it to show (whether by list, clickable box's etc) what date's are available to select. Then, ultimately, there will only be one 'date' for each month and the user can easily select the relevant date, rather than having to search the report for exactly the right date to enter in.

Hope that helps?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Have you thought about having a Calendar control, and have the user select the appropriate date?

I've not heard of this function, will it show the dates available or every single date? I'd like to understand more !!

Windows XP Access 2003
    No, it isn't a function per se. It is a control that the user could click on a date or 2 dates and that date or that range of dates could be used.

However, I'm not sure I understand where the appropriate dates you are referencing are stored, nor how familiar the user is with the dates involved.
    Perhaps you could describe more precisely what is available, to whom at what time. Or describe the processes involved and who does what.

Ah ok! Every month I will be inputting the previous months data. For example if I were to add it today, it would be for May 2012, but it would automatically show a date of '25/06/2012' next to every record added to avoid duplication. What I would like is for a drop down list, buttons (anything that works!) that, when the query is run, shows the dates the user can chose.

The dates would (should!) be one day a month, so I would expect to see for example "25/06/2012", "14/05/2012", "16/04/2012". Then, when a date is chosen it would show that month ("14/05/2012" for April - beause it would be the month before!).

Hope that makes a bit more sense?

Dr4ke

Windows XP Access 2003
    How do you determine which day of the month before?
    Do you ever have 2 sets of records in a single month?

You might consider just selecting the previous Month--- if current month is June, then records from May -- but what happens when you get to the next Year???

The day of the month before, will be when it was added. So if I add the data on the 15/07/2012 that's the date that will be automatically inputted; but it will also have 25/06/2012 from when I added it today.

It's possible, but it shouldn't happen.

I'd rather have the 'full' date, as you say; for when i get to the next year.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.