cman is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Access 2007 Certifications --Getting

I bought the mammoth 1300+ page Access book by two of the more prominent people familiar with Access and have
    made my way through it. I have previous experience with Access in a work setting as well.

One question: What certification exams are there to show my proficiency? I've seen Certiport out there.
    Are they the ones? Or are there other more prominent ones that employers look for?

Thanks.

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    if you're still listening....who ya gonna show your "proficiency" to? secondly, what for?

oh and by the way, it was just a week ago that I was talking to a higher-profile headhunter in the USA and she said she had many problems hiring people that had certifications. because the employers kept calling back and complaining that the hired people didn't know **** about programming or technology in general.

I actually had to educate HER on the fact that you can create *anything* in this world that's fake. and yes, certifications are one of them. or on a lesser level, you can pass tests by cheating your way through and using tools to lookup answers in seconds. Most online exams for assessment purposes give you at least a minute to 3 minutes to click an answer.

so my personal advice to you is, unless you're very young and just starting out in the workforce with no track record to reference, don't get an access cert of anykind because it doesn't mean a damn thing.

but if you really are looking to do "tasked-based" work and just do what you're told to do by corporate leaders, certifications may actually be useful because that makes you look more like a statistical-oriented asset rather than a human being with a brain that wants to contribute on an intelligent basis.

facts are facts, and for large companies that has always been the rule. so take that for what you will! oh...and don't forget that if you're in the employment market such that your CV is going to be scanned for keywords (and probably by now, whole phrases), certification listings might actually help you! at least it will probably be thrown into the right directory due to the right strings being found through a scan.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.