thedanch is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Query returning more results than wanted

Hi,

So I have a query, drawn from four sub-queries, and it's not working entirely how I want it to, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

If each of the four sub-queries is only a one-line record, it works fine, but when I add a second line to any of the tables that the queries drawn from, it adds to the query almost exponentially.

(ie. the data is coming from a form with four-subforms. We'll call them A, B, C, and D. The query performs a sum. If it's one line, it will go A1 + B1 + C1 + D1, and everything works. If I add another line I get: (A1 + B1 + C1 + D1) + (A2 + B1 + C1 + D1). If I add another line to another subform, it will do the same thing, but with every permutation again.)

I have unique values on, but that doesn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How have you built the query that is based on the four other queries?
    Could you post a copy of the SQL for all the queries?

Context:
    Working on a WIP Calculation that draws from a timesheet with five subforms:
    1) Labor Hours - 'Hours'
    2) Equipment Hours - 'Equipment'
    3) Materials - 'Materials'
    4) Mileage - -KMs'
    5) Jobs - 'Job_WIP' - where all the prior WIP is split out based on a percentage to each job for the day.

I'm calculating the $ amounts from the first four in queries, and then trying to combine all those in a 5th query where I assign the percentage.

Query A:
    SELECT Hours.Timesheet_id, [First_name] & " " & [Last_Name] AS Name, Hours.Role, Hours.Hours_worked, Roles.Charge_out, [Hours_worked]*[Charge_out] AS HoursWip
    FROM Employees INNER JOIN (Roles INNER JOIN Hours ON Roles.Role_id = Hours.Role) ON Employees.Employee_id = Hours.Employee_id;

Query B:
    SELECT Equipment_Used.[Timesheet_id], Equipment.Description, TimeBasis.Description, Equipment_Used.Time_Units, Equipment.Chargeout_Rate, [Time_units]*[Chargeout_rate] AS EquipmentWIP
    FROM Equipment INNER JOIN (TimeBasis INNER JOIN Equipment_Used ON TimeBasis.TimeBasis_id = Equipment_Used.TimeBasis_id) ON (TimeBasis.TimeBasis_id = Equipment.Time_Basis) AND (Equipment.Equipment_id = Equipment_Used.Equipment_id);

Query C:
    SELECT Materials.Timesheet_id, Materials.ExpenseType_id, Materials.[Description / Notes], Materials.Cost, Materials.Markup, Materials.[MaterialsWIP]
    FROM Materials;

Query D:
    SELECT Vehicle_Used.Timesheet_id, Vehicle_Used.KM_Travelled, Vehicle.KM_Chargeout, [Km_Travelled]*[KM_Chargeout] AS KMWIP
    FROM Vehicle INNER JOIN Vehicle_Used ON Vehicle.[Vehicle_id] = Vehicle_Used.[Vehicle_id];

which all work fine on an individual basis. The following query is where things go sideways and I run into the problem above:

SELECT DISTINCT Timesheet.Timesheet_id, Job_Timetable.Job_id, Job_Timetable.Percent_charge, [EquipmentWIP]*[Percent_Charge]/100 AS EquipP, [HoursWip]*[Percent_Charge]/100 AS HoursP, [KMWIP]*[Percent_Charge]/100 AS KMP, [MaterialsWIP]*[Percent_Charge]/100 AS MaterialsP, [EquipP]+[HoursP]+[KMP]+[MaterialsP] AS Job_WIP, Client.Client_Name
    FROM (((((Timesheet INNER JOIN [KM WIP] ON Timesheet.[Timesheet_id] = [KM WIP].[Timesheet_id]) INNER JOIN Job_Timetable ON Timesheet.[Timesheet_id] = Job_Timetable.[Timesheet_id]) INNER JOIN HoursWIP ON Timesheet.[Timesheet_id] = HoursWIP.[Timesheet_id]) INNER JOIN MaterialsWIP ON Timesheet.[Timesheet_id] = MaterialsWIP.[Timesheet_id]) INNER JOIN EquipmentWIP ON Timesheet.[Timesheet_id] = EquipmentWIP.[Timesheet_id]) INNER JOIN Client ON Job_Timetable.Client_id = Client.Client_id
    ORDER BY Timesheet.Timesheet_id;

I should add that I also have the same sub-totals in Reports for each of the inputs, but it doesn't look like I can combine those sub-totals and apply the percentage to them.

Sorry to bump this, but I'm really stumped here if anyone has any ideas.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.