libraccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Tabbed Form or Separate Form?

I have a DB (for Supply and Distribution) that has been in use a short while but it has been decided that some extra data was needed. I developed separately another form that calculates costs and the sharing or allocation. Now I am thinking the best way is to have this new form as a Tabbed Form (have never used these before. The original form has three subforms so is quite busy. The Main form source is a table with only 15 fields. The new form has 28. Now the new form will have one record for every record in the Main Form. At first the existing records will have no data matching the new soooo

Questions: Should I put all the fields from the new forms (record souce table into the MainForms Record Source Table?
    Should I retain the New Forms table and have both IDs on a one to one?
    In the Join Properties Should the "Only include rows where thejoined fields from both tables are equal" be the option or maybe Option 2 All records from MainForm and those from NewForm?

and one more question
    How can I put all the existing main from controls Including subforms into the New Tabbed Form (Page1)
    Already tried cut and paste but it looks like I have a bit of work to do , tab orders all mixed up, all Event procedures not in the new page !! Although probably not as bad as it sounds just maybe there is a better way

Thanks any and all ideas welcome

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The 'new' table and 'main' table have a 1-to-1 relationship? Will 'new' table ALWAYS have a record for each 'main' table record and only one record? If so, why not one table?
    Last edited by June7; 06-16-2012 at 01:59 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ok thanks again, Ive been adopting the try and see approach (as per normal) and almost all seems to be going well.
    The one table approach seems to be going OK.
    I have one problem that is puzzling me. On the second tabbed page I have three controls that are duplicated just to provide info on that page. (They are locked = Yes)Two work fine but the 3rd is a combo box and will not show the Name (2nd row)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't understand described issue with combobox. Can you clarify? Don't know what you mean by 'will not show the Name (2nd row)'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

sorry for my vague reply, I had been working late on this. Transferring by cut and paste from one form to another has always worked OK for me but from a form to a new tabbed page and another completely separate form to the main form but now tabbed has thrown a few issues.
    The combo box row source showed up inthe property sheet but when opened only the ID remained in the query, the name(text) and a value had just gone into the ether. Once I (re)included them in the query all was good again.
    Just seems to be some idiosyncrasy of what I did
    Any way I have things running well now, a few more tests and is all good.
    Once again I have found it is easier to build from new as additions and alterations always seem to throw curve balls.
    Thanks for your help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.