RGRAVLIN_BOS is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Reserved Error (|)

Hello,

I ran in to a problem today that ended up with Reserved Error (|). Then afterwards some of the errors were related to the database being locked or read-only.

I eventually found the problem to be some illegal character from an Excel Import in to Access. I did this by inserting the data in smaller chunks until I found the exact row having the issue. I must assume there is a much more efficient way to figure this out. The problem I've been having with Access is when an error is generated there is very little information provided.

Is there any way to view what row or data has caused the problem? Do I have to configure any settings to have Access provide me with more verbose information?

Thanks in advance for any help.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Unfortunately, you're lucky it catches it at all instead of just closing. Some things Access know a lot about. Other issues it is all it can do to say there is a problem. You took exactly the correct approach in pinning down your issue. We almost always take a close look at what we just did different that is causing an error and try and figure out how to do it differently. Sometimes the debug mode can help or maybe some well placed Debug.Print statements or MsgBox statements. Welcome to programming.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I have also encountered issues in the past, especially when importing Excel files into Access. The big problem is that Excel and Access "talk to each other" and try figure out the format of each field on their own (I believe it looks at the values in the first 10 records, or something like that). Sometimes, it guesses wrong. And, as you saw and Allan mentioned, Access error reporting is greatly lacking in some areas.

Often times, to get around some of the issues presented by Excel to Access imports, I will export my Excel file to a text file (usually CSV) and then import that text file, where the Import Wizard is invoked and I can tell Access exactly how I want each field formatted. It often works quite well, though I don't know if it would help for your illegal characters issue, unless you formatted that field as Text.

tanvi is offline Competent Performer
    What is the code of the error?

because there are multiple codes for this error like Reserved Error (-1517). Reserved Error (-7711), Reserved Error (-1524) etc. All codes have different causes & solutions.

You can check it from here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Reserved+Error+(%7C)

RGRAVLIN_BOS is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    I have also encountered issues in the past, especially when importing Excel files into Access. The big problem is that Excel and Access "talk to each other" and try figure out the format of each field on their own (I believe it looks at the values in the first 10 records, or something like that). Sometimes, it guesses wrong. And, as you saw and Allan mentioned, Access error reporting is greatly lacking in some areas.

Often times, to get around some of the issues presented by Excel to Access imports, I will export my Excel file to a text file (usually CSV) and then import that text file, where the Import Wizard is invoked and I can tell Access exactly how I want each field formatted. It often works quite well, though I don't know if it would help for your illegal characters issue, unless you formatted that field as Text.
    I actually go through each field during the import and set them to text, and then save the import so I don't have to do it each time. I don't do anything advanced in Access, just import CSV or Excel files, and then run queries to update a SharePoint database. It blows me away there is no diagnostic or error logging built-in by default.

The error itself said "Reserved Error (|)". That is verbatim from Access. The only reason why I even figured out what to do was I read somewhere that it could possibily be an illegal character. I then started importing small batches and found that around row 7400-7500 it would present me with the error.

Thank you all for the input! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious and you have confirmed my beliefs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.