cheyanne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Migrating Access 2010

I have been developing a database in Access 2010 - 64 bit format. I have experienced many problems when trying to run it on 32 bit machines.

I sought advice from the Internet and was told in no uncertain terms that they strongly advise against using this 64 bit product as a deveopment tool.
    Apparently Microsoft, on their own web site, give similar advice which begs the question why was it ever released in 64 bit mode?

I have just ordered a copy of Office 2010 - 32 bit and am seeking advice as to what any such migration entails. Is it simply a case of uninstalling Office 2010
    - 64 bit, installing Office 2010 - 32 bit and running the database in that version? Then saving it or is there more to be considered and or undertaken?

I have noticed that currently I can only save the database in its native accdb format and it will not even let me compile to a accde version, or let me save as 2003 database.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Cheyanne

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Cheyanne,

is this what you read? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../ee681792.aspx

My guess as to why MS discourages development in 64-bit is because of those reasons stated in the article. by the way, #-bit issuances are not development modes, it simply refers to systems'/programs' abilities to process #-bit chucks of data at a time and use higher levels of memory. that's why machines are being sold as 64-bit, but most of that is driven by a booming gaming industry. gaming takes plenty of processing power. so they increase the power of machines and their components to get the revenue out of it from the gaming market. there really is no other reason, from a corporation's eyes.

regarding the compiling issue, not sure what to tell you there. maybe there is a disconnect between your applications and your hardware? your apps and your OS?

as for MS not giving any "certain" terms for anything, their simply covering their a$$ because they probably don't have an answer. and they probably don't have an answer because they don't *really* know and don't want to be sued anymore. they've had issues with lawsuits in the past. it's almost a national pasttime for them, just like releasing buggy software is!

cheyanne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi

Many thanks for the link - it was useful.

Regards

Cheyanne

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.