Majestic_Clown is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Structure in place but now stuck

Hello All,

First of all, thank you for reading this thread. Before I share my project and what im trying to do let me share with you some information about me. I'm a technical I.T trainer of Bespoke systems and I'm working on a database for my own use to keep track on what training I've done and for what people, My weakness in I.T is databases and that's why I've spent the last few (sleepless) nights using the forum search feature and have gotten as far as I have (thank you greatly for a fantastic resource site!)

The Project
    As you can see from the screen shot attached I have a Table for employee information, course information and the results of the course information.
    I have created a relationship between the tables so the course results can be assigned to the course and to the person.

My Problem
    I'm currently stuck on what my next steps are, I used forms and reports to present basic information but I need something advanced and I dont know what i need to do in what order to make it happen.

What I'm looking for is now a page that I can use a drop down field to select the person (first name and surname) that is active which shows me all the active courses listed in the courses tables and their corresponding results (View only)

Then I'm looking for the same page where I can register the results (not view only)

I'm not looking to be spoon fed on how to do it, I need pointing in the right direction so I can learn how to do it, but if the answer is simple and easy then feel free to share :P

I'm hoping once I can work this out, or see how its done so I can learn and make new things.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access.jpg  

PRMiller is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Create a form with a combo box. Set the record source of the combo box to "SELECT Emp_No, Emp_Surname, Emp_FirstName FROM Data_Employees ORDER BY Emp_Surname, Emp_FirstName;". When setting your column widths, you may want to hide the Emp_No column. Add a large listbox control below, with a blank recordsource.

Create an OnChange event for the combo box so that, when an employee is selected from the combo box, the record source of the list box is set to SELECT the fields you would like from Data_Course, JOINed on Data_Completed_Courses, where Data_Completed_Courses.Emp_No = column(0) of your form's combo box.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by PRMiller; 06-08-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: This only gives you a list of courses completed by the employee, but it might inspire further ideas

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.