Subwind is offline Can Only Learn
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Import Data from an Web Based .txt File

Just wonder, would anyone know how to directly import a .txt file from the web without having to download it first?

I can download and then import the data without any issues, just wondered if there was a way to directly import it into Access.

http://en50.tribalwars.net/map/player.txt Is the text file, http://en50.tribalwars.net/map/player.txt.gz is the downloadable version.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

~Matt

help_me_with_access is offline help_me_with_excel
    Windows XP Access 2007
    it doesn't look like the data is even in table format...? pre-formatted? i guess my only question would be: why is the txt there? can't you store the records in msql? are you on linux? i guess from experience I would ask: why use local access when server-based msql is available from your hosting provider anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by help_me_with_access View Post
    it doesn't look like the data is even in table format...? pre-formatted? i guess my only question would be: why is the txt there? can't you store the records in msql? are you on linux? i guess from experience I would ask: why use local access when server-based msql is available from your hosting provider anyway?
    In answer to your queries, it is in table format, I download it in the same format and import it without any issues.

The txt is there because it is the data for a web based game, not my game but I am access the data to use it in access so I cannot use the server itself.

~Matt

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Subwind View Post
    In answer to your queries, it is in table format, I download it in the same format and import it without any issues.

The txt is there because it is the data for a web based game, not my game but I am access the data to use it in access so I cannot use the server itself.

~Matt
    not sure I understood the 2nd part, Matt. clarify this?

not my game but I am access the data to use it in access so I cannot use the server itself
    by the way, that's not a good way to store data online anywhere. FYI - many gamers, especially teenagers and other young people, use the same or similar usernames across multiple gaming websites. that's a very easy way to get info for social engineering purposes if you're a hacker. you're basically giving it to them. not to mention that the gaming community is high on the list of desired targets by hackers. again, FYI. but I guess pw's aren't up there....just UN's?

but at any rate, enough of the soapbox talk, can you clarify the meaning above? you don't have access to the server software? not getting it.

bottom line though, I doubt you can automate it 100% because browsers don't init a download when you load the page. and it's not in a database either. you have no medium as a driver. for instance, if it was in msql, you could use odbc as the medium.

Basically the .txt file is available direct on the web, or you can download it.

I can download and import it without issues, but I wanted a way of importing it direct from the web.

As far as I am aware, access only allows this with .xml files.

~Matt

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Subwind View Post
    Basically the .txt file is available direct on the web, or you can download it.

I can download and import it without issues, but I wanted a way of importing it direct from the web.

As far as I am aware, access only allows this with .xml files.

~Matt
    well I'm sorry Matt, I've already given you all I have. I don't think there's a solution here. but I wish you luck bud! take care.

Quote Originally Posted by help_me_with_access View Post
    well I'm sorry Matt, I've already given you all I have. I don't think there's a solution here. but I wish you luck bud! take care.
    No worries, thanx for looking anyways. I have asked the game site owner if they have the same data but in a .xml format as I could use that.

~Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jnuyjuikiklvtgt View Post
    why is the txt there? can't you store the records in msql? are you on linux? i guess from experience I
    Karen Millen
    Karen Millen Dress
    Karen Millen One Shoulder
    Karen Millen Shop

Karen Millen Skirt
    Karen Millen Coat
    Karen Millen 2012
    Karen Millen Solid Color would ask: why use local access when server-based msql is available from your hosting provider anyway?
    The data is a webgame, so it's not my data. I am on Windows 7.

~Matt

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.