PoliticalOperative is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Personal Property - Asset or Inventory Database?

While I'm a bit of a Microsoft Office addict, unfortunately I don't have extensive experience with Access 2010. For some time now, I've needed to implement a personal project for documenting assets and property in my homes. Having responded to countless disasters, it's makes no sense that I don't have a documented record of my own property! That in mind, I would like to create an Access 2010 database for doing such.

Generally, I would open Access 2010 and begin playing with it; much of the way I've learned other Office Applications in the past -- That effort has been a failure thus far. I've searched extensively for a 2010 template to guide me, but haven't found what I'm looking for -- Several Inventory and Asset tracking templates exist with features I desire, but not conclusively and rarely in 2010 format.

Ideally, I would like a database where I can add a description, brand-name, model number, approx value, other misc details, and attach a photo of the item to each entry. My plan is to save the database to my Skydrive, as the point of creating it is in the event of a loss of my property (including my PC's, etc.)

I'd be very grateful for any advice, direction, or ideas from the Access community.

Cheers.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    Several Inventory and Asset tracking templates exist with features I desire, but not conclusively and rarely in 2010 format.
    Have you tried opening the templates? I just downloaded the A2003 "Household Inventory" from Microsoft download area and opened it with A2010. Personally, I don't like the look and feel of Microsoft templates, but you would have a starting point. Google for other household inventory database or templates.

Here is a good tutorial by Crystal
    http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.