jwill is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2010 64bit

Need help calculating time on my report

I think I made have a design flaw. Trying to calculate time on a report for my employee log in/log out table. This is my table

staff_log_empl_num text
    staff_log_date date/time
    time_in_time_out text "time in" or "time out"
    staff_log_time date/time

I may not have designed the table correctly. I'm trying to create a form that calculates the hours worked per employee, per day, per week. A pic of my report is attached. Do I need to redesign the table or can I do something w/ the way it is?

doc1.pdf

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Your data is normalized but calculating values of sequential records can be difficult. Requires subqueries. For one method, see the example 'Get the value in another record' at http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html

Your situation is complicated because you want to calculate daily and weekly totals, not just a month cut-off date.

Is there only one In/Out pair per day? Try doing a query for the Ins and a query for the Outs, in another query join them on the date. This will get the In and Out pairs in a single record and can calculate the difference. The text time values will have to be converted to a date/time value to do a DateDiff calculation.

SELECT LogDate, LogTime, LogDate & " " & LogTime As LogDateTime WHERE LogInOut = "IN";
    SELECT LogDate, LogTime, LogDate & " " & LogTime As LogDateTime WHERE LogInOut = "OUT";

Use DatePart to extract a week number that can be used as grouping criteria in summary calcs: DatePart("ww", LogDate)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks June7 I'll take a look at the article

I've decided to change the structure of the table. Lesson learned . I will make the time in and time out all the same record. Thanks for the response.

Hallelujah, I found the answer! thanks June7 for putting me on the right path

Code:
    SELECT  sl1.staff_log_date, sl1.staff_log_empl_num,  (DATEDIFF("s",sl1.staff_log_time, sl2.staff_log_time)/60.00)/60 as  tester, *
    FROM staff_login sl1 INNER JOIN staff_login sl2
    ON sl1.staff_log_empl_num = sl2.staff_log_empl_num
    AND sl1.staff_log_date = sl2.staff_log_date
    WHERE sl1.time_in_time_out = 'IN' and sl2.time_in_time_out = 'OUT';
    I abandoned the idea of restructuring the table. I joined the table to itself then used the datediff function to get the hours

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Glad you figured it out. That is essentially what I suggested but in an all-in-one sql. You seem to catch on fast or you really aren't a newbie. Congratulations!
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.