zb134 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Question Using dropdown list selection..PLS SEE attached screenshot

Please help me with getting this right...As you can see in the image below, I am trying to create a form to assign employees to projects.
    I have a table called EmployeesList with fileds Employee ID [pk], Supervisor, Last Name, First Name
    What I have done is created a dropdown from where one can select the supervisor and this gives the employees first name, last name and employeeid below (the employee id column is not visible in the screenshot below) that supervisor.
    What I want to do now is to be able to click on one of the selection and through this add the employee id of the person who will be added to the project.

However, I am unable to figure out how to pass the selected value to the employee id input field.

Any help is appreciated.Thanks!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dfgdfgd - [Assignments]_2012-05-23_14-30-34.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	7762

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Look at this link as it describes what you are trying to achieve.

http://www.baldyweb.com/Autofill.htm

Alan

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Don't understand this form. Need to know more about data structure and the design of forms. Why is list of projects in a subform? Is the main form bound to table/query? Are you entering data into a junction table that is associating employees with projects?

Want to provide project for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

zb134 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Don't understand this form. Need to know more about data structure and the design of forms. Why is list of projects in a subform? Is the main form bound to table/query? Are you entering data into a junction table that is associating employees with projects?

Want to provide project for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of post.
    Yes, it is a junction table that associates employees and projects.
    The subform is just for me to see all the current project id's: its not ideal, but its temporary I guess

Thanks for the help

PS: please note that I have started using access for the first time as of last week, you may find lots of unnecessary stuff in the file!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dfgdfgd - [Assignments]_2012-05-23_14-30-34.png  
    Last edited by zb134; 05-24-2012 at 01:45 PM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Personally, I would use bound controls to save the selected values. Data structure looks good. The main form is bound to Assignments and this is essentially backwards. Instead of subform for projects, could have projects as the main form and Assignments would be subform. Review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

The form could be opened to only allow new project entry or could have search functionality to find existing projects and add employees. Use the intrinsic navigation bar or build custom buttons for navigation.

Also recommend making form smaller, it stretches too wide.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

zb134 is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Personally, I would use bound controls to save the selected values. Data structure looks good. The main form is bound to Assignments and this is essentially backwards. Instead of subform for projects, could have projects as the main form and Assignments would be subform. Review http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...010098674.aspx

The form could be opened to only allow new project entry or could have search functionality to find existing projects and add employees. Use the intrinsic navigation bar or build custom buttons for navigation.

Also recommend making form smaller, it stretches too wide.
    Thanks for the reply! I agree about the subform and will change it. However, it still leaves me with the problem of passing the selected value to Employee ID.
    I tried following the suggestion from the link of the alansidman; however I still can't figure it out.

Sorry for asking what might be a very basic question!

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you try the form/subform as I suggested? If so, the employeeID will be saved directly to the junction table.

The link in Alan's post shows a method for displaying data from associated records, not to save a value.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.