Chuck55 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Looking for an alternative approach to my mdb design

My mdb is fully functional and debugged but I am interested in knowing if there is an alternative approach.

The output is displayed on an unbounded form having 30 groups of controls to display a photo that is linked to every record in the output table. The output table is accessed using recordset. Up to 30 photos will display on the form. If more then 30 photos are available, command controls (w code) can be clicked to display the next 30, previous set, first set, last set. A command control in each control group opens the input form and displays only the one specific record. Each group also has a check box to select certain photos for display.

The output table is updated with a delete query then an append query from another unbound form. The sql for the append query is modified by first selecting one or more controls on the other unbound form. (I created 14 select queries and stored the query name (for the SELECT statement) in a property of the associated control. Another control property stores the control source (for the WHERE clause). The INSERT statement is hard coded for it never changes). A command control is then clicked firing code that creates then strings together the insert, select and where sql into the append query. The delete query then runs, followed by the append query, finally the output form is opened and the photos are displayed.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    There are always alternatives but if it is working satisfactorily is there some compelling reason to change? If it ain't broke ...

I do wonder why unbound forms was the approach taken. Something to do with code for dynamically displaying photos?

Access 2007 offers an image control with a ControlSource property which means code is not needed to dynamically display images.
    Last edited by June7; 05-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    I was asking for alternatives as a way to learn more about Access.

I used an unbound form to display the photos because I did not know of another way to have up to 30 photos viewable at the same time. If a continuous bound form was used, only 5 images at a time could be displayed instead of 30. The group of 30 controls is 6 across and 5 down.

To select images to display, the other unbound form was made so I could select values from the same control sources used to input data for each record. Every combobox and listbox is supplied by a table or value list. Also used several checkbox controls. I did this so for data consistency. I did not see a way to use the same controls if the form was bound (which also uses subforms).

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    All seem to be good reasons for the design you have. I can't see any alternative for the 30 photo display.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2000
    Thanks for reading this thread and your comments. Nice to hear from one with your level of Access knowledge

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.