skbrede is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

mutiuser automatic updates events caused

Does anyone know of a method of detecting when a form has been automatically updated by Access in a multiuser enviroment. Is there an event that is triggered by the Update I have tried "after Update", "on dirty", and "On Data Change" , but none of these get triggered by an update initiated by a change on another computer

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Are you talking about computer A updateing table A and computer B seeing this update? Access has no triggers so you will need to create your own or poll the table.

Thank you for comming Back RG
    I am using the built in access polling and am getting the form on computer A to see the changes made by computer B. They show up on A within the refresh interval set under the Tools/Options/Advanced Setting. What I would like to know is there any way to sense that computer A has been updated automatically -- Some documentation indicates that when Computer A is updated by the automated polling that an "Update" event occurs for the form in use on Computer A. I have not been able to find such an event for that form
    Thanks for your help
    SKB

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I only have ac2002 and ac2007 and am not familiar with the "built in access polling" you mention. I see the Tools>Options...>Advanced setting for refresh but have not seen it in action before. I have multiuser systems but it is rare that more than one user is on the system at a time. Interesting. As for an "update" event, I do not know where to even begin looking for such an event, sorry. You could certainly use the timer event of your form to create the event if you wanted to.

Hi RG
    I am already doing as you suggested, using the Timer event to initiate the action I want. But as the refresh loop and the polling loop are asynchronous I get some wierd displays before the Timer event comes along and cleans them up. I'm obviosly trying to trigger the "Timer" event as soon as the Data changes -- strange that there is no event for the automatic update
    Thanks again for your Help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.