stonward is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

How can I 'batch process' records during data entry?

I have a Form/Subform (one to many) arrangement that allows entry of Purchases/Purchase Details. Each time a record is entered - in the subform- and we move to the next, the record is naturally stored in the Purchase Details table.

I want to be able to enter all the records BEFORE thay are stored in the table. This way the user can check the entries before they are stored and correct any mistakes prior to the records being saved to disc. This could be done, say, using an 'Enter Data' button. But is a temporary table the only way? Thus far this has proved 'clunky' at best. Is there not a way using recordsets?

Or am I going about this the wrong way?!

Thanks for your time,

Stonward.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I don't know any easy way to do this. What's wrong with the record going immediately into the table? Isn't it still available for editing?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

PRMiller is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    June7, I haven't done this before but have heard of someone else using a similar approach: what about storing each new "proposed" record in an array and then, onclick for a Save button, looping through the array and performing some validation?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You could load your records into a table, as June says. It could be a Temp table or a HoldingTank table or Prevalidate table.
    Then, read the records in the table and process with a validate procedure. Records that satisfy validation go to your "Production table";
    Records that fail validation go to an Errors table with appropriate error message/number for further analysis.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi June,

Thanks for your reply. The problem with the records going directly to table is arithmetic! When the stock quantity is altered, it becomes an arithmetic logic nitemare to unravel (well, it was in the previous version of this system). In the end I had to give the user access to the tables in order to 'manually' enter/correct the data.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks for your reply Orange,

This is the method I am currently working with - something of a compromise, but likely to be the only realistic way to get the desired result. Not as wasy to set up as I would have thought. Currently I'm trying to have the subform data go into a table as temporary data, then delete it once it's been moved to the main table. But again, thanks for your reply.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi PRMiller,

Thanks for your reply - this is an intriguing idea. Have to say I'm a serious beginner when it comes to arrays, but this is the sort of solution I am looking for - holding the data in - as it were - RAM, before entering it en-masse into the table proper. Gonna have a go! Thanks again.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    As I said, not easy, whether it is array or temp table. The root of this issue appears to be saving aggregate values (current stock quantity) during data entry instead of calculating aggregate data on report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.