Rattykins is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Design check

New to access and building a bilingual database of stock analysts, the sectors ("families" of similar businesses) they cover, as well as the operating segments of those individual businesses. Everything needs to be in two languages. (Users are mainly translators)

The goal:

I want users to enter a 4-digit ticker (representing a stock/company) into a search box, pulling up a "search results" window listing:

The analyst(s) covering that firm
    All relevant analyst(s) contact information (Tel, e-mail, etc.)
    The sector the firm belongs to
    All operating segments of that particular firm in both English and Japanese

How does the below look as a starting design? The operating segments have yet to be incorporated (products is currently a stand-in), and I would really like a bit of feedback before I delve further in. In all my "normalization" reading, am I starting to get this right?

Note: We have one junction table with a multiple-primary key. Analysts can cover more than one sector, and each sector can be covered by one or more analysts. Thus, a many-to-many relationship, yes?

Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!

Rattykins
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DesignTest.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	7654

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Windows XP Access 2007
    I have viewed the videos in the referred link. They were very helpful and I intend to watch them again. That said, at this point I need a new direction or different way to analyze my current task in order to comfortably proceed.

As always, many thanks.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Yes the videos will help with concepts. But my questions and comments

What do the fields Name_E, Name_J represent?

Is Ethical Drugs really a subject or entity in your scope?
    I don't care much for your Entity Names, but then again it's your model representing your business.
    Sector and Segment are a little abstract, but as said before, it should be representing your business.
    were intended to get a response and comment and possibly another iteration of your model.

I really don't think anyone reviewing your model would have any idea of your underlying business or the subject matter involved.

Have you tried making a list of business facts; then make your model based on those facts?
    Create some test data (good and bad) an test your model and facts with the test data.
    Reconcile every "anomaly/difference" between expected outcome and observed outcome.

You may get some more ideas here http://www.databaseanswers.org/approach2db_design.htm

or some general idea of business rules/facts here http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_...ment/facts.htm

Windows XP Access 2007
    I completely missed the questions in the previous post. I will read more carefully in the future. My apologies.

As the design is still growing, its has recently become a question of flexibility. What I essentially want is a catalog of all the things a given business does in two languages (Thus the Name_E/Name_J). This is straight-forward for business segments, as all firms must have SOME type of division for their business.
    IE: ABC computing has two business segments -> desktop computers, laptop computers.

Now, each of those businesses may be further broken down into products (also in two languages).
    desktop computers -> Product name #1, product name #2, etc.

However, not all firms produce products (IE: service sectors), and, not all firms produce all TYPES of products (IE: only pharmaceutical companies produce ethical drugs).

You were right about the entity names; they were somewhat obtuse. Subsequently edited.

I'll add some data, write some narratives, and see if I can post a new model in the next few days.

All the best,
    Rattykins

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.