JMac is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

expression builder: update query

Hi all
    Im using a simple update query on a command button.

It just updates a field "A" in the relevant table, to a combination of 3 fields with "&" joining them, no problem here..
    This works perfectly except for the current record or rather last record which Ive just added in the form! This field "A" remains blank until I exit the DB and return then run the query again at which point it populates it correctly..

Ideally I want the query to update just the latest record... does anyone have a solution as to how to 'build' the 'criteria' (I assume the criteria is the best method?) or at least have a solution to update the active record??
    Thanks

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

If the record is still in the form, just update the field without using a query:

[Field1] = [field2] & [field3] & [field4]

[Field1] does not have to be on the form, as long as it is in the underlying recordset.

Just as a note, though - if Field "A" and the other three fields are all in the same table, that is not good database practice - field "A" can be a calculated field in a query when you need to use it.

John

JMac is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks John
    Field1 is in the same table as its a unique number, because field 4 is an autonumber and I need Field 1 to be a unique number.
    Essentially I want to lock it in via a query so it can never be repeated, basically I am issuing a unique number which has some user input..

So the click to run query serves to populate field1 then closes the form, the next time the form is opened its done as a new record.. No one can ever overwrite or change the record...

So once closed I want to be sure all of field1 is populated?

R_Badger is offline Knows a few tricks
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Like John_G said, you can do it on the form, this uses less time and brainpower.

If your form operates like you said:
    the next time the form is opened its done as a new record.. No one can ever overwrite or change the record...
    Then there is not a problem. and if you are really worried you can perform the calculation on the form close button.

However to answer your question you can do it the hard way simply by specifying in the where clause [field1] is null

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.