birsey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Problems with password when I try to "Save As"

I've been using Access 2007 (accdb) daily to run my business admin. Our database is password encrypted. I can log in without hitch, & edit & use it.

However I now have problems when I try to backup by using "Save As".

It prompts for a password, which I duly enter. Then the password prompt appears again, and possibly again and again, between 2 to several times. Eventually it declares, "Not a valid password". And refuses to allow me to save a backup, and re-opens the old/current version.

This also happens when I try to:
    - Compact & repair
    - Change settings in Access Options such as "Compact on close", which requires Access to be closed and reopened for the settings to take effect....

The password has not been changed.

I've tried to remove the password, but the Access Help instructions seem to differ from the actual options available in Access 2007? As instructed by Access Help, I have opened the database in Exclusive Mode, but then under the Database Tools tab : Database Tools group there is no "Decrypt Database" option available?
    In case this offers any clues regards the root cause of our problem, two things happened around the time we started having bother:
    - I rarely shut down my computer, as it is used almost constantly; it's generally put on standby, but as it happens I shut it down properly and rebooted just the other day.
    - About the same time, we activated an accounting package, "Sage Instant Accounts". I wonder if it has somehow clashed with Access... Also the PC crashed this morning whilst Sage was in mid-flow. My computer is normally very stable.

I would be happy for any ideas regards how to decrypt my database (how to remove the password), as a possible line of pursuit?

Any suggestions would be v gratefully received! Thanks very much in advance if anyone has any ideas to share.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Cross your fingers and try and import everything into a new accdb. If that works, see if the problem still exists. It may not follow the import. Have you applied the Office 2007 SP2 yet? If not, fix this problem first if you can.

birsey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Ah! Excellent suggestion. Will try that and let you know how I get on. Much gratitude!

I have my fingers crossed. We'll be waiting for the answer.

birsey is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Worked beautifully!

Couldn't have been easier, literally only took a couple of minutes to do. The instructions were very detailed and clear; a great fix.

Huge thanks! You have a fairly good idea how relieved and happy I am about this!!!!!!!

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing the results.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.