DavidJV is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Question Access "create email" forms not pre populated with data if using query as source.

Hi Folks
    I have searched various locations for a solution to this and have had noluck so far, any help of course apprecited.

The basic issue is as per subject line, some detail below.

I am trying to setup a simple dataset for a group I work with. They need to conduct a survey of supervisors asking for a rating.

If I create a flat table or simple query (based on one table) and use it as a source to use the "create email" wizard, it works well, sending only those parts of into to the person whose email is related to that line of data. Fantastic, really.

However if I want to make a more structured database and prevent storing loads of unnecessary repetative data (ie email address for supervisor and manager and site manager for every single person), the email that is sent contains one set of fields, all data blank. (using HTML and infopath)

Ahhh I hear you thinking I have forgotten something in my query. well, the query works as required and shows correct data (including the email address from the alternate table) AND I used a table from Northwind database to confirm.

I can only assume others have had this problem, is there a solution to this specific issue or do I jsut have to keep making flat tables (or Create a table from a query, send that data, get the response, place it back in the new table then update the original data from the created flat table.. ARGH).

PLEASE dont make me have to learn to code for Access

Thanks in advance
    David

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Want to provide project for analysis? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007

Post Attachment: Access "create email" forms not pre pop'd with data if using query src

As per request...

If it has worked correctly, attached is the very basic version of the database.

tblPersonnel "should" pretty much only contain the persons name, score and supervisor (but does also currently contain supervisors email to make "create email" work, this way of doing things DOES work).

tblSupervisor should list supervisors and their email address

personnelquery should combine the two above to show persons name, supervisor, supervisor email and persons score (and in fact does!). This should be able to be sent out via "create email" but only creates a single, blank form for sending.

help file claims that query and table can both be emailed out for database updating or new records though this does not seem to be the case.

Thanks in advance
    David

Database1.accdb

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, suffered the same behavior you encountered. Query does not allow the Update option of the Create E-mail wizard.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks June7,
    the help files clearly state that this can be done from a query OR a table though the microsoft help video only shows it being done for a table.
    I have also tried to log the issue with MS tech support though it has to be done via my companies IT support who are struggling to undertand the issue.
    Amusingly enough the last response was "ah well, I dont know how to fix that" which was not what I asked, I only wanted them to contact MS tech.
    such is life
    Cheers
    David

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.