itzmemike is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Access Well Customized Inventory management Database

Hello,

I'm currently looking to hire someone with very well known microsoft access programming.
    I need someone to program an automatic inventory system to with with my ecommerce webstore and other selling locations.

I also have an question before starting. Does this person needs to locally program the inventory database from scratch at my local computer, or is he able to do it somehow online and add it to my access.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It is possible for your Database / Application to be created by the programmer and then sent to you so that you can open it on your computer.

Make sure that you have a written contract with the programmer to give you not just an executable, but the entire, editable database/application.

I've been in two different jobs where the company I worked for had not made that clear with the programmer in a written contract and as a result they only had an executable [non-editable application] and had to go back to the same programmer every time even the smallest change needed to be made - and they had to pay whatever he wanted to charge for making the change. Not good.

Let us know if you have trouble finding someone to do this for you.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    It is possible for your Database / Application to be created by the programmer and then sent to you so that you can open it on your computer.

Make sure that you have a written contract with the programmer to give you not just an executable, but the entire, editable database/application.

I've been in two different jobs where the company I worked for had not made that clear with the programmer in a written contract and as a result they only had an executable [non-editable application] and had to go back to the same programmer every time even the smallest change needed to be made - and they had to pay whatever he wanted to charge for making the change. Not good.

Let us know if you have trouble finding someone to do this for you.

All the best!
    Thanks for all this question. Lastly how would i know if the version is an executable version or the entire editable database? like after receiving the database. Usually how much space would an database for what I'm looking be taking up? And my final question would be could programmers possibly program hacks or some sort of things in the database, and since we only would know how to use it we wouldn't know whenever the hack or virus is running with the database.

Also, what would be your charge?
    But I do want to get all my questions cleared out into answers before hiring, as I'm newbie to access.

Robeen is offline VIP
    1. You can tell by the database file extension if it is the editable Database you are getting [in Access 2010 the extension is .accdb] or an un-editable executable [.accde].
    2. To know if you have the editable Database, you can hold down the Shift key and open the Database and it will open in 'Design' view [which allows for changes to be made]. You cannot open the executable in Design View.
    3. Unfortunately, it IS possible for a malicious person to put malicious code into the Database.
    You need to be confident in the person you hire and YOU must MAKE SURE that she/he is dependable.
    You could ask for a Resume and References like hiring Companies do.
    Basically, it is your duty to yourself to make certain that the person you hire is trustworthy.
    4. You don't have to be an Access programmer yourself. As long as you have the editable Database, you can always hire another programmer if at any time you are not satisfied with the programmer who initially does your work for you. That's why you have to make sure you are getting an editable version.
    I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Robeen View Post
    1. You can tell by the database file extension if it is the editable Database you are getting [in Access 2010 the extension is .accdb] or an un-editable executable [.accde].
    2. To know if you have the editable Database, you can hold down the Shift key and open the Database and it will open in 'Design' view [which allows for changes to be made]. You cannot open the executable in Design View.
    3. Unfortunately, it IS possible for a malicious person to put malicious code into the Database.
    You need to be confident in the person you hire and YOU must MAKE SURE that she/he is dependable.
    You could ask for a Resume and References like hiring Companies do.
    Basically, it is your duty to yourself to make certain that the person you hire is trustworthy.
    4. You don't have to be an Access programmer yourself. As long as you have the editable Database, you can always hire another programmer if at any time you are not satisfied with the programmer who initially does your work for you. That's why you have to make sure you are getting an editable version.
    I hope this helps!
    Is there any possible way for an newbie like me to actually know if there is malicious code in the database after the programmer is finish programming? or I can't find out. If I look at the programmer code eye by eye, how can i know when they are adding viruses? This is an business so I need to find programmer who are trustworthy

Robeen is offline VIP
    It would be almost impossible for someone inexperienced with Access to know what code is in the application.
    1. You wouldn't know all the places to look for the code.
    2. When you found code, you wouldn't know what it is supposed to do.
    3. I don't think a hacker would do something obvious like use program code [which another programmer can read & interpret]. I think hackers are much more sophisticated than that. I don't really know.

The way I look at it is this.
    When I apply for a job, the company looks at my resume and if they like it - they interview me.
    If they are still happy, they do a background check, check with my references, do a drug screening etc and then, if everything checks out, they decide whether to offer me the job or not.
    If you don't have the capability to verify a person's reliability and check their background etc, you could contact a local recruiting agency and have them find you a few candidates. I think you will pay more, but if you are going through a reliable Recruiting Agency, they will prpbably be able to get you professionals you can trust.

I sent you a Private Message through accessforums. Have you read that yet?
    Look at the top of your screen for the word 'Notifications'.
    Other people may also have sent you Private Messages too.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.