TTDD is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Database size - pls help urgent!!

I have to start bulding an access database with time series data of ewquity securities starting from 1980. I have to store about 60 fields for 5000-6000 securities from 1980 till date on a quarterly basis( 4 dates/year) . I can break the fields into 5-6 logical tables and connect them using the security ID.

This data amounts to be about 11 million records split across ifferent tables and will grow each quarter with 200000 records.

I am not sure if I will breach the size limits with this ? should I build this in access or sql?? One solution i was thinkin was to split the db into 2.
    Please help.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    If SQL Server is an option then why not just jump right in? You can still use Access as the FrontEnd.

TTDD is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I am comfortable with access databases. Most of the models/tools I have built involve storage of historical data -which I do in access - and extract the data into excel to do statistical analysis.
    Does Sql work well with Excel as we need to bring this data to excel to do some statistical analysis?

Also do you think it is very impractical to think of doing this in access split databases?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I don't have the answer to some of your questions but the limit on Access is 2GB per file. You can have any number of files being manipulated by one FrontEnd in Access. I am a BIG advocate of splitting the tables out into a BackEnd in Access.

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TTDD View Post
    This data amounts to be about 11 million records split across ifferent tables and will grow each quarter with 200000 records.
    I have counted a bit and I think you are talking about 11M fields, not records. The whole table row is called record.

Its better to use SQL Server, despite your data can fit regular Access database. There is SQL Express edition - it have 4 Gb database size limit.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.