new database with multiple users

I'm hoping someone can give me a little bit of help with this and that I am posting this in the correct location as I have just joined the forum.

What I am trying to do is build a fairly basic database that would be accessible by approximately 4 people shared over a network. I would like to have the database file stored in a shared folder on our server which is in a remote location that all users have vpn access too. The biggest thing that I need is to have multiple people all be able to have have the database open and viewing and editing it. I have a sales rep that needs to be able to add to new sales to the database for the fulfillment queue as well as adding in various tasks that have to be accomplished by other employees. Obviously the fulfillment queue needs to be viewed and updated by whomever is doing the fulfillment as well as have a manager performing overview to see how things are coming along.

I had previously read that you could share the database amongst a few users on a shared drive but I have been having many problems with this, sometimes if one person has it open then someone else cant open it, it just doesnt seem to work as seamlessly as I had hoped and that may be my fault in assuming it could do more than I wanted. Browsing around the forum a little about this topic I have read a few posts about creating a front end and back end to the database. I am wondering if this is the correct way to go or if there is perhaps an even better way. Any insight or thought on this would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Here is how I manage split db http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html

The file server and users are all on the same network? Maybe don't need VPN. I don't know how use of VPN impacts split database.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.