johnsmith1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Dmin Function in Calculated Field of An Access Query

Hi all,
    I am using the SQL code below in an Access 2010 query to distinguish turtle capture events as "New" or "Recapture".

SELECT [tbl_Watamu Turtle Bycatch Data].[DateTime Caught], [tbl_Watamu Turtle Bycatch Data].[Tag 1], IIf([DateTime Caught]=DMin("[DateTime Caught]","tbl_Watamu Turtle Bycatch Data","[Tag 1]='" & [Tag 1] & "'"),"New","Recapture") AS [ReleaseType]
    FROM [tbl_Watamu Turtle Bycatch Data];

A record in my main table represents a capture event. The first time a Tag appears, the associated capture event should be designated "New" in "ReleaseType" field. And whenever the same tag reappears/for all subsequent captures it should be designated "Recapture". However, this query returns "Recapture" ONLY for REcapture events in Years after the Year of first capture. This means that if a Tag appears for the first time in a capture event recorded on 01/Jan/2012, that capture event gets "New" in its "ReleaseType" field: Which is correct. Now problem is, if the 2nd/3rd/4th.. captures are in the same year, the query STILL returns "New" in its "ReleaseType" field. It only returns "Recapture" for the recapture events in 2013, 2014 etc. My date field is "DateTimeCaught" and follows the format: "dd,mm,yyyy hhmm", so I assume the query should be able to distinguish the dates to the hour.
    How do I rectify this?
    Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Could you provide data (spreadsheet or Access) so can analyze and test query? Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

You might want to add a column to your query just displaying the DMin function to see what data it is returning. That might help you figure out the problem.

johnsmith1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi all, I have managed to sort the problem. Actually, the above query is correct and working fine. But the proofing query I was using just to be sure had a small glitch. All happy now, Thanks all and sorry for not exhausting all options prior to posting this thread: I just didn't see them.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.