Hcasty is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Trying to find a low-cost program for Data migration and ETL

Hi, Im building a database for my company. We are a rather small size book company with a lot of references and still growing.

We have a Mysql database here and are trying to find some good tools to use it at its best. Basically we are just starting up the database after dealing with Excel: we had a size problem… So im trying to find a program that will allow us to do two different things: the migration of our data from the old system to the new one and a specialized software to perform ETL (Extract, transform and load) on our database.

About the price of the tools, if we were one year ago, the accounting department would have been pretty relaxed about this. But today, we have some budget restrictions and therefore need a low cost tool. So could you give me some advice on a good data migration and etl tool for a low cost?

Thanks for your help.

jase_kross is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You might want to give Altova DatabaseSpy a look. If your old data is in Excel spreadsheets you could save them as csv and use DatabaseSpy to work them over.

http://www.altova.com/products/datab...base_tool.html

If anything you could try it for 30-days. I don't know what you or your org might be willing to pay but this product is currently < $150. There is only 1 price level for the product (i.e. there aren't multiple versions, Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate, etc.) but Altova will probably try to sell you a Maintenance & Upgrade package to cover at least one year.

jase_kross is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    re: my previous post

As this is an Access geared forum (not MySQL) I should at least say that Altova DatabaseSpy can be used with MS Access 2003, 2007.

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    MySQL is good, but Microsoft SQL Server is much better for Microsoft Access.

There is free express edition, which limits your database size to 4 Gb. 4 Gb should be enough for most of tasks. Beside that SQL Server includes powerful suite for data importing and transformation.

I mean you can handle it in no cost :-)

Tgrou is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi,

Jase Kross > It seems as though the tool can "work data over" but is it an ETL tool? And you have to pay for it compared to open source tools.

MaxD > 4 gb seems to be a low limitation for a company that deals in books. Must be a lot of references in their company.

Some companies have budget problems and are having to reduce their cost of operation.

Have you ever heard of open source tools Hcasty? They can do the job easily and less expensive (free) than proprietary solutions that cost a lot of money.

You can have a look at a good ETL open source program called Talend Open Studio: it is user-friendly but also has advanced features intended for technical users (java debugger, code injection…). It can perform data migration and ETL as you wrote in your first post.

The website is http://www.talend.com/solutions-data...-migration.php to download the open source program. They have a forum and documentation you can read. Tell us what you think about the software.

For an ETL benchmark: http://blogs.sun.com/aja/entry/talen...ata_processing

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.