SteveF is offline Generally AccessAble
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

dBase import/link issue

I have an issue with an Access 2000 format database running under Access 2010 on Windows 7.

There's code in the database that imports a dBase 5.0-format file, and then links that imported data with other information in the application for further use. On most of the PCs in our office, that works fine, and as-expected.

There's one machine, however, where it's not working as expected: certain data fields in the dBase file are “imported empty”, that is the columns are present in Access after the import, but there's no data in the column. This happens both when the dBase file is imported via VBA code and imported manually, and there are no errors generated during a manual import. Starting up a new blank Access file and importing the dBase file manually produces the same results on this one PC. Linking to the dBase file instead of importing is no better.

These “empty” columns are an important part of the processing, so ignoring the problem is not an option. Has anyone got suggestions about what to look for to correct this?

TIA,
    Steve

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    All of these machines are running Access 2010 and Windows 7?

If so, why are you using 2000 db format? Regardless, should work. Sorry, don't know why it isn't. Try re-install of Access?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

While all of the machines where this is running now are Access 2010/Windows 7, it wasn't always that way. We have a mix of Access 2010 and Access 2003, and Windows 7/Windows XP in the office. To make sure something can run anywhere in the office, we've been using a format which all versions understand.

Re-installing Access was suggested by another source; I'll report back on the results.

Steve

Finally had an opportunity to re-install Access on the offending machine. No change in results.

All is not lost; it's now time for plan B: The Access application reads data generated by another application, which happens to store its data "natively" in dBase format files. I was taking advantage of this fact & just pulling the data from the appropriate dBase file when needed.
    This other application can also export data in a variety of other formats, including Access *.mdb. I've already verified that the data columns are properly handled when this is done manually; I'll just change my application to read the *.mdb file instead.

It won't be as automatic as before, but at least it will work.

Steve

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.