allstar45 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

(simple) Display Memo in text box (255 limiting issue)

I have a table, with one of the fields being of type memo.

I want to display a member from that table, selected by user via combo box, in a text box.

I have a combo box which does allow the user to select a row in the table with the "after update" event being:

Me.textbox = Me.combo.Column(0)

Which works, but the problem is this only shows the first 255 charactors of the memo field. Is there some way (mabie using the Control Source property of the text box) to show the COMPLETE Memo data member???

PS
    I must use a text box since it later gets used to go somewhere else(another table after modification), so I'm quite sure a subreport would be doable.

Any input welcome
    Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Is this a form or a report?

The memo field is a column of the combobox and it is the first column? I think the limitation is not the textbox, but the combobox. It may be pulling only the first 255 characters.

Options:
    Use record ID from combobox RowSource (which column is it in) as criteria for a DLookup on the memo field of the table in textbox ControlSource.
    Subform with MasterChild links on the ID fields.

Why does memo contents go somewhere else?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    This is a form, not a report.
    That is correct, and I think you're right, that the limit is in the combo box it's self.
    I could use a DLookup with the ID, but queries also limit memo fields to 255, is there a way to prevent that?

I can't use a Subform because I want to be able to change the text without it making changes to the actual table.

The memo contents don't themselves go somewhere, but what I want to happen is, user selects a member from the combo box, that member is displayed in the text box, user makes changes, adds things, deletes things to in the text box, and that new content that the user made, and after hitting a command button it is then put in a different table as something completely different.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Yeah, memo fields are a pain. But I don't know what you mean by queries limiting memo fields. I have reports that use a query as RecordSource and the memo field data comes through just fine. Maybe the DLookup has a limitation.

In which case, recourse might be to first create the record in the other table and bind form to that record and allow user to do edits. So the question is, can an INSERT SELECT sql action pass the full contents of memo field. I just tested a MAKE TABLE sql action and that worked so I expect the other will.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Alright I will have to try this tomorrow,
    Thanks for the help!
    I'll let you know how it went~

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.