swasielewski is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Problems with Access 2003\2007 and shared drive

We use a lot of access database at my company. We have been getting a lot of locked files and it seems to proceed the entire network drive becoming unavailable until the server is rebooted. Most of our access is version 2003 and we have about 15 people with 2007. All are set to save as 2003 files. we are getting these locked files multiple times a week, almost daily. I even moved the shared drive onto a raid 5 drive on our 2008 server. Did a complete restore to the drive and shared it out. I thought the original problem was the usb drive but now it is doing it on the new server drives also. Any idea's? Everything should be on the latest service packs. I'm really looking for any clues as to what could be causing this. I have verified rights and all looks good.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    If you are talking about MultiUser systems then this article is the best I've found on the subject.

jase_kross is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Had a similar experience. At work we have a .mdb hosted on a Linux file share. Turns out that on a couple of occasions we were locked out of the database. This issue was elevated to the Server Administrator who had to kill a lock process on the server so that we could open the file. No reboot was necessary just had to 'kill' the process.

The best explanation that we could come up with was that there was an improper handling of file lock upgrades and downgrades.

One potential file lock fiasco of this sort could be - Someone opens the database exclusively (for a maintenance task), but for some reason the database was not closed properly and so the exclusive lock would remain in place on the server. The user that opened the database with the exclusive lock would himself/herself be locked out along with the others that try to access it.

Max D is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can try to use terminal services of 2008 server. If everyone use DB in terminal session, this will eliminate network load, and maybe solve locks problem.

As a bonus you will have potential ability to use your database over the internet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.