renewtx is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

Break link between Access 2010 table and a linked list in SharePoint 2010

Hi,

Does anyone know how to "unlink" a table after linking it to a SharePoint list in MS Access 2010? I created an Access 2010 database and then linked the tables in it to a SharePoint site using the SharePoint button under Database Tools on the menu ribbon. All that worked perfectly. However, now I need to unlink the tables without deleting them.

When I use the More Options > Delete List menu option on the right-click menu of one of the linked tables, a message appears that says "You are about to delete the list and all its data from the SharePoint Site. Do you want to continue?". That sounds like what I want it to do (remove the list from SharePoint but keep the table in Access). But when I proceed, not only does it remove the list, it also deletes the table in MS Access!

Is there no way to break the link between an Access Table and a SharePoint list once established?

Thoughts?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    No -- this is for a much older version of SharePoint (2.0?) and appears to relate to "links" like URLs that you create in a SharePoint Links web part. I'm referring to a database table in Access that was used to create a list in SharePoint and then linked to remain synched.

Thanks though...

June7 is offline VIP
    From MS article at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...aspx?CTT=1#BM1

"Move data to a SharePoint site When you move a database from Access to a SharePoint site, you create lists on the SharePoint site that are linked as tables in your database. When a database is moved, Access creates a new front-end application that has all the old forms and reports and the new linked tables that were just exported."

So what happened to the original db?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

From MS article at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...aspx?CTT=1#BM1

"Move data to a SharePoint site When you move a database from Access to a SharePoint site, you create lists on the SharePoint site that are linked as tables in your database. When a database is moved, Access creates a new front-end application that has all the old forms and reports and the new linked tables that were just exported."

So what happened to the original db?

That's what's so confusing and misleading...when you link an Access table to SharePoint, you still see what "appears" to the table in the database...but it uses a different icon to indicate it's linked...So the database still appears to be intact. But there appears to be no way to "unlink" it from SharePoint...delete is the only option available, but that completely removes the table entry from the database...

June7 is offline VIP
    I guess the lesson learned is 'make backup'. Can you copy/paste records to another db or import everything from the Sharepoint linked db as 'normal' objects?

I guess the lesson learned is 'make backup'. Can you copy/paste records to another db or import everything from the Sharepoint linked db as 'normal' objects?
    I could, but that's not the point -- I'm trying to figure out what's going on and if I'm doing this right -- I can't believe that MS set this up this way to where there is no way to "disconnect" a table from a SharePoint site without completely deleting the table in Access... That jsut makes no sense to me and so I am trying to figure out what I did wrong (assuming I did something wrong!)

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    I agree but can't find anything that references 'unlinking' or 'disconnecting' a Sharepoint. Sorry.

DrZizi is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I realize that I am late with this - I needed to reply to here as I had the same issue as well and perhaps it can help someone else.

When you're in Access, right click the Table that you wish to 'unlink' - and select Delete. In this case, delete means disconnecting/unlinking the way Access connects to the db.

If you only wanted to have a local copy on your Access FE, you could just Import a SharePoint list, and select the option to not connect to the source.

Hope this still proves to be helpful...

gpmichal is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Hi y'all,

You shouldn't have to delete the linked table with Access 2010. All you need to do is convert the linked table to a regular static table. Just right-click on the linked table and select "Convert to Local Table..."

Hope that helps,
    Gary

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.