keyel1971 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Re-linking multiple tables

I have Access 2003 on XP.
    My problem:
    I have a database on a network drive, say network drive A. This database has 200 linked tables from many different sources, but all of the sources are from the same A drive, just different databases. For example, one linked table is \\A\Folder1\Database1.mdb. Another is \\A\Folder1\Subfolder2\Database2.mdb. And so on.

They just migrated our A drive to a new drive, say drive B.

So how do I update all 200 linked tables to \\B\????\????\DatabaseX. That is to say, I only want to update the links up to and including everything BEFORE the actual mdb portion of the address.

Is this possible without having to "touch" each individual link???

Thanks in advanced.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Does the table link manager not serve your need?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Does the table link manager not serve your need?
    No, it does not. I have 200 tables that need to be relinked. Using the link manager means I have to select every table, one at a time, and relink them one at a time. I want to do a mass update. Every table begins with \ \ A \. I want to simply say "hey, for all 200 tables in here, replace the "\ \ A \" in the path with "\ \ B \". Seems like it should be able to be done, but I've been in several access forums and no one has a solution. There's many scripts for having it prompt you for a new location, but again, they're all one at a time. No mass update like I described can be found anywhere that I know of.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    The link manager has a Select All button. If they all have the same link, they will all be revised the same. Just navigate to the new path only once.

However, review this thread http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    The link manager has a Select All button. If they all have the same link, they will all be revised the same. Just navigate to the new path only once.

However, review this thread http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    Thanks, I'll check out that link. But no, select all doesn't work. While the all begin with \\ B \\, after that, they're all linked from different directories. So one might be \\ A \\ Sales \\ Year to date \\ database1. Another might be \\ A \\ Losses \\ Monthly process \\ Sales Reps \\ database2. And so on. Only the very first part of the path is the same, namely , \\ A \\. And I want to change only the first part of the path frmo \\ A \\ to \\ B \\ due to a migration. If you try what you suggest, it ONLY works if the WHOLE path is the same. But thanks for trying, and I'll go ahead and check out that link.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.