ayounggun is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Advice on this situation / requirements - linking to directories

Hi all, I'd very much appreciate your advice with this situation. Reason being is that I don't know much about access but I'm willing to learn if I know its a good solution!

Situation
    lots of photos are taken at different locations, dates, times for different customers. Photos are stored on a NAS by year/month-day/location/some-other-folders

The bit that I want to ask you guys is this! Can you integrate access records with a folder that holds a location's or a customer's data? This path could be set when the other customer data is entered into the database. Ideally I want to streamline the input of non-imagery data (customer name etc.) and the access of associated imagery directory from these data.

The alternative I'm looking at is a tagging filesystem approach with www.lunarfrog.com this may make more sense.

Thanks very much, apologies if this is already in the forums. I tried searching but was a bit overwhelmed.
    Last edited by ayounggun; 03-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Depends what you mean by 'Can you integrate access records with a folder'. You can store the path to a folder as a hyperlink in a table field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

that sounds great thanks! apologies for the vagueness - yes, I want to locate and open different folders straight from records in a database. I hoped that I would be able to input the directory path name for each record via a form when adding other database data and the path would be parsed into a clickable hyperlink.

thanks for your reply; it is much appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    If you use the Hyperlink datatype the field must be populated with the hyperlink dialog. If you store the path as string in a text field, have other options for populating the field.

Review this for code alternatives to run the hyperlink http://allenbrowne.com/func-GoHyperlink.html
    Last edited by June7; 03-31-2012 at 11:13 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

thanks again June7, I shall bookmark this. I am designing the table at the moment, or at least a rough one.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.