rgsoton is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Design table so that when a box is checked data is transferred to another table

Hi all

Would welcome any advice on the following...I am designing a database for my organisation. I have done most of it but am stuck on this. Ideally I would like to have a check box (in a table) that when checked a load of data is carried across from that record to a record in another table.

Given that I can't and don;t want to use VB is there anyway that this can be done easily?

Thanks in advance.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    No, you can't. Tables do not have events. You would have to use VBA.

In a properly designed relational database, you shouldn't (and wouldn't have to) duplicate data (the same data in two or more tables).
    Are you using forms?

Given that I can't and don;t want to use VB is there anyway that this can be done easily?
    Why can't / won't you use VBA?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for your reply.

I am using forms. Is there an option then to do this using a form?

Good question about using VB. not opposed to learning it...guess i dont have time to learn -v- how often i'll use it.

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    No, you can't. Tables do not have events. You would have to use VBA.

In a properly designed relational database, you shouldn't (and wouldn't have to) duplicate data (the same data in two or more tables).
    Are you using forms?

Why can't / won't you use VBA?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    If you had some way to identify the records that you wanted to duplicate, you could execute an Append query (using a button). It is easier to use VBA (IHMO)....

But again, in a properly designed relational database, you shouldn't have to copy records from one table into another (duplicate data in different tables).

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with ssanfu. What is the reason you think this must be done? If you are moving records from 'Active' to 'Inactive' table, that is also bad design. Have your yes/no checkbox bound to a yes/no field called IsActive. Yes means active, no means inactive.

Access 2010 has new macro type - Data Macros. This means tables have events. The events are add, update, or delete data within a table. So probably wouldn't apply to your situation anyway.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    As others have alluded, it is difficult to give advice without knowing the perceived issue or opportunity and the context.
    You haven't told us what you are trying to do.
    Please describe your business problem or opportunity in plain English so that we understand.
    Options and suggestions will evolve.

Asking questions in general terms about a process that violates relational database practices is not a good start.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the replies

The database has 6 tables in it. In one table i enter details such as name, address of one of our clients (we have hundreds of clients in this table). This is our most important info/table. I'd like to record somewhere on this table that this client should also be in another Table. So i guessed that having a checkbox as a start to at least say that their details should be in the other table was a way forward and would iseally like these details transferred automatically. I guess this may not be the best or most efficient way of doing this. However we are all novices in Access in my organisation. I use forms to input the data originally. Thanks for any help

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Can you tell us about your application? What is it about? What things do your tables represent?
    We know nothing about your business and you still haven't told us.

This is the sort of info that will help people understand your situation. Please tell us about your business inn a similar fashion.

We have a small business that sells Products to a number ofr Customers. We get our products from Suppliers that all do Manufacturing and fabricating in the US. We are new to Access and database and need help with setting up tables and forms. The database will be located in our offices at XYZ......

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    A major principle of relational database is not to duplication data. You should not have to 'transfer' customer details to other tables. Just save the customer record ID as a foreign key in the other tables. Then use queries to join the tables and all data from the related records will be available.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.