Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WayneSteenkamp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit

Multiple users able to access a database and edit the same time?

Hi,
    If I have multiple users using my database the same time and if one enters/edits data, will it update the others aswell?
    Or do i need to do something first to enable it to work?

They use a windows network here if that helps. Microsoft XP Professional

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    An excellent reference for multi-user: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/.../multiuser.htm

Poo, I had a feeling it would've been a split database.
    I read the link you gave me, Thanks. Just a quick question is it difficult to do and if its created (split database) at a later stage like when the Database is complete...Will it corrupt anything or not?

Thanks

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    I split my db's before they go into service. The update/development of the FrontEnd makes it much easier. Allowing more than one user at a time into a non-split db is a formula for corruption.

right ok. So its still possible to split it since its all complete. As long as it isnt in service. Is it a quick job to do? I don't have access on my home pc so cant try it out yet

AcsDb Guest
    it's very simple / access even comes with a wizard to do it for you

I've used the split front-end/backend scheme in many projects with perfect success --- just make sure wherever your shared folder is, all users have read-write access to it / that's because as soon as you open the database, the backend will create a lock file in the same directory, so user would need to have read/write access to the shared folder

h3nno is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The splitting process is easily done via clicking access database in move data. This will prompt you through the wizard. As stated it is important to setup correct file sharing permissions. If you do not select the network directory when prompted you can later update the link to the back end by clicking lined table manager in database tools.

Cheers thanks
    I'm using this site to help me:
    http://www.hitechcoach.com/index.php...split-database

I've split my database. It then mentions something about MDE/ACCDE. I went to "Make ACCDE" in Database tools, clicked on that and it seemed to make a locked copy of my database. When I open that file..it sticks on my Splash Screen. Any suggestions and why do i need to make an ACCDE exactly? This a security thing to prevent accessing data view?

Can anyone help me here or suggest something?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You don't need to make an accde version of the database unless you are heavily into security and need the database innards to be inaccessible to the users. I'm not sure of your user base but generally if it is all in-house and your company isn't too formal then there would be no need. You can google it and see what it is all about, but I am sure it won't be required. I personally have never found a need for it, I have always been able to trust the people I work with.

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    You don't need to make an accde version of the database unless you are heavily into security and need the database innards to be inaccessible to the users. I'm not sure of your user base but generally if it is all in-house and your company isn't too formal then there would be no need. You can google it and see what it is all about, but I am sure it won't be required. I personally have never found a need for it, I have always been able to trust the people I work with.
    Fair enough. So how have you kept the front end user away from the back end stuff etc as well as Ribbons, N/Panel etc? Or havent?
    Where do I read/write the DB?
    and does one know if optimistic locking and row-level locking is enabled, if not is it essential? There will be about 4-5users using the DB at a time if that.

Again, I don't know your user base or your company. I generally leave it to the users to have the company's best interests at heart. Not only that but I often try and teach them how to use Access for their own ends - create their own queries etc. You decide how much control you want to keep and how much you leave to others. (I hope someone else answers this as it will be interesting to see others' opinions.)

I didn't understand this question: "Where do I read/write the DB?"

Access default settings will handle all record locking for that small amount of users. It is designed for many more than that. You can learn about the different settings (do the google search thing) and design your own - you seem to want to go the whole hog with this database. It will be a good learning experience for you but IMO unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by aytee111 View Post
    I didn't understand this question: "Where do I read/write the DB?"
    The back end or data will need to be in a folder where user have read and write permissions. Just wanted to double check how this was done. I have an idea

It all depends on how your network is set up, but yes, the users will definitely have to have read/write access to the directory where the back end resides. There will be just the one copy of the back end database. Some developers will give each user their own copy of the front-end as it runs quicker on their hard drives as opposed to running over a network. This has its pros and cons, however.

ok cool. I thought it was going to be on a server but it's not. They have a "host" computer where they will be running the end user stuff. Every other pc will have the front user stuff.
    That'll still work that way wont it? Just set up the links and locations and hopefully all should work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.