Steven.Allman is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Sharepoint List Query Filter based upon User Login

Very nice complex database recently uploaded to Sharepoint so I am using linked tables. I want to distribute this for wider availability, but due to sensitivity issues, I do not want "Bill" to have access to view "Jim" and vice versa.
    Our Sharepoint automatically logs users in via a digital Common Access Card.
    So when they open up the frontend database, their CAC login would give them permissions to the sharepoint linked tables, and the forms and reports would be queried based upon BILL or JIM..

Not sure if that makes sense..
    I could recreate the entire database for each person who needs it, changing queries for each one, but when I make one change to MY copy of the database, I would have to go in and import to each subsequent, then update the query again, etc..
    Is this more a Sharepoint issue?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Security management of data can be an issue with any project, not just Sharepoint delivered data. So yes, use filter by userID on data. This requires at least one table have a field with userID and table would be joined to other tables on pk/fk relationships to make the userID field available for filter criteria.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Well part of the issue is my authority for the "User Information List" table is view only, and I work for the largest corporation in the world, the US Military... So should I create a seperate table where I have copied the user data for the few people I want, and then create a field in that table that gives record 1 permissions to "JIM" for "GROUP1" and record 2, "Bill" permissions for Group2?
    Once I did this, I see where my forms have the ability to FILTER and FILTER ON LOAD, but I have tried a few things with some Querys and its not cooperating with me..
    This seems very complex, and perhaps beyond my capabilites.
    This forum has done wonders for me thus far, however...

June7 is online now VIP
    What is 'Group1' and 'Group2'? Is there a field in other tables that has these values as attribute to each record?

Do you want to provde project for analysis? Make copy, remove confidential data, run Compact & Repair, zip if large, attach to post or upload to fileshare site such as box.com and post link. I just helped a Marine with a question after he provided db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7, I ran into a bigger issue.
    I thought everything was working great, up until I tried to delete a record from Table1, using form 1. I have a JOIN between my tables, and when my backend was ACCESS, the Unit Identification Code was a primary key for Unit Information, and for personnel it was the SSN.
    If I was adding billy, then his SSN 123-12-1234 and when I went to put his UIC in table1, it would use my join to look for that UIC in table2(unti information) and populate several other fields in my forms, and thereby my reports. Great...
    Sharepoint lists aparently must have an autonumber PK, which means my forms would create "Recordset not updateable" unless I did Dynaset inconsistent updates.
    Then when I went to delete a person(record from table1) the other day, I also deleted the UNIT from table2.
    This cannot happen.
    How can i force sharepoint to allow my UIC field and my SSN field be the PK, so that I may change my form attributes back to Dynaset, and everything be happy!!!

June7 is online now VIP
    Sorry, I don't have experience with Sharepoint.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.