erikl1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

copy and append a record

I have followed the development of Access from the early beginning, and even before the early beginning with databases like Q&A, Foxbase etc. I have survived with Access 2002 for a long time. However, the unavoidable string of events has given us more and more complex systems (for the noble purpose of making life easier, I assume). In my particular case I now have an up-to-date system (Access 2010) that I do no handle. My impression is that also the experts have trouble. I am now close to discard Access 2010 as too complex for my simple needs.

Here follows an example of a database that was easy to construct in Access 2002 but which I have major problems to reconstruct in Access 2010:

The database in question shall keep track of expenses. The database have fields like date, project, type of merchandise, description of merchandise, price, name of store, notes, hyperlinks. On opening the database I want a search screen (a form) that is exactly identical to the records I am going to produce (except that all fields are empty). On the search screen I put a search topic (e.g. the name of a store), and then initiate the search by pressing a fast key. The search result generates a number of records, I move on to the last one, I copy it, and on the copied record I do the necessary adjustments. The whole operation is done in a matter of seconds. The procedure is functional, and it gives me what I want.

I have made some "work around" procedures that bring me to the final touch, namely to copy/paste the record. If anybody could tell me how to do it I would be happy. I would also be happy for getting advice on which alternatives I have to Access. My intention is not to build an empire with my database. I want a simple tool for simple tasks.

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    You want to be able to do a search on any given field in your table [Eg: Store] and then:
    1. See all records that have that Store and
    2. Create a New record using the data from the last record with that Store.

Is that correct?

Yupp! This is correct

Robeen is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Would creating a Search Form be a possibility for you?
    I have appllications that use a Search Form to search various values and then display the related records for the searched field on a separate Form.
    Also, do you need to see all the values when the new form is opened - or just the new record with the data from the last record?

Sorry for the delay. I would like to see all values from the last record. Or to be even more exact: if the last record do not fit I want to page backwards until I find the correct record to copy/paste. If you could help with an application I would be grateful. My firm impression is that Access has peaked. It is no longer my desired tool. But unfortunately I have not yet found the substitute. I'm looking for it. Any suggestions?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.