JFo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Working with pictures

It has been a long time since I have been back to my database and have decided to try and ascertain the best way to do my major problem that was holding me back, storing images.

Basically for every piece of equipment there can be many inspections and for every inspection there can be many pieces of equipment --> For every piece of equipment and every inspection there can be many images of the equipment

Obviously the major limitation is the 2GB database size limit for access, however unfortunately I like the attachment field.

For every piece of equipment I would like to have all the images joined to the equipment and also to the corresponding inspection as well so I have put this field into the junction table.

What I would also like to do is be able to add multiple images at a time (this is done easily with attachment)

Also I would like to be able to view images from past inspections for a particular piece of equipment (on forms preferably live)

Additionally I would like all the images linked to a certain piece of equipment and inspection to be printed automatically on a report

This obviously needs to use links as per the database size however the best way that I can see is with the attachment field. Is there any way to change the attachment field to link to attachment rather than storing it directly into database?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    No, that is what attachment field is for, to store object within table, not link to external object. You need to use child table to save the collection of path strings for the image. Each record would have EquipmentId as fk and the image path string.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks June 7

Images will need to be joined to EquipInspectID junction table key to select what equipment is inspected in what inspection

What child table? Do you suggest I create another table that records image path and EquipInspectID as fk? What sort of field would I use for this if not attachment

Can I still display these images on a form, will this automatically print the images in reports from the link (path string), can I add multiple (say 20) images in one step (not one at a time)?

Thanks again

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, am suggesting another table. Image path would be stored in a text field. Use an image control to display images. Image control has a ControlSource property which would be bound to the path field. Would have to input each string manually one at a time. Or write some fancy VBA code to save multiple selections from Windows file dialog.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

OK so I create a new tblImages with 3 fields ImageID, EquipInspectID and Link (text field) and do I need to create another field for every possible Image you add, Link1, Link2, Link3... Link20 etc?

Bit disappointed I would have to enter 1 at a time (is there no way around this) and at very least I would need it automatically insert this link/ address by using a browse/ preview system similar to attachment (is this possible)?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    No, would be a record for each image, not a field.

So EquipInspectID 27 might have 7 image records and EquipInspectID 49 might have 20 image records. This is 1 to many relationship.

Yes, the browse could be done. It is tricky because have to use Windows file browser. Check out http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.11).aspx

Thanks June7 I have created the tables and am trying to create the browser, will let you know

Cheers

Hi June7

I could not get it to work with the reference library but it seems to be working with the following code

Private Sub cmdAddImages_Click()

Dim f As Object
    Dim ImagePath As Variant

Set f = Application.FileDialog(3)
    f.AllowMultiSelect = True
    f.Show

MsgBox "file choosen = " & f.SelectedItems.Count

For Each ImagePath In f.SelectedItems

MsgBox "this is Image Path = " & ImagePath

txtImagePath = ImagePath
    DoCmd.Save
    DoCmd.GoToRecord acActiveDataObject, , acNext

Next ImagePath

End Sub

Can you see anything wrong with doing it this way, it seems to add multiple files at a time and insert the path into the correct table?

Now I just need to work out how to display/ Preview these pictures on the form and print them out with reports/ queries etc

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Looks good and it works - congratulations!

Once you are confident about the code, might remove the message box popup.

Now just use the Image Control on forms and reports with ControlSource set to that field.

Thanks June7, I think I have figured it all out now

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.