Jamescdawson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Filtering a report

I've created a report containing a field which lists a product category "Small, Medium, Large & Not Required", but I want to filter OUT the "Not Required" category from my report. Does anyone have a bit of code that will help me do this ?

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you have the record source for your report a query and not a table directly, then in the criteria for that field, you could put <>Not Required and it would be filtered out automatically.

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can you run that past me again please..... I'm not sure about the syntax I'm supposed to be using. There IS a table field source for the record and the control source on the report has the name of that field in it. If the field was called SIZE, what should appear in the conrtol source ?.. BTW> The content of the field is usually seleced from a Pick list on a data entry form...

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Create a query based upon your table. Set the criteria for the field in question to <>Not Required. In the query, use the criteria you get from your search form also.

Now for your report. You already have it built so, open the report in design view. Open the properties for the report. Right click on the report, select report in the drop down. On the Data tab, in the window for the record source, change it from the name of the table to the name of the query you are using.

Alan

Alan,

Many Thanks. I got it. (As you probably guessed, I'm a bit of a Novice with Access 2010). I had a basic lack of understanding in regard to queries. This exercise has helped enormously. It now works a treat.

Thanks again

=Jimbo=

Quote Originally Posted by alansidman View Post
    Create a query based upon your table. Set the criteria for the field in question to <>Not Required. In the query, use the criteria you get from your search form also.

Now for your report. You already have it built so, open the report in design view. Open the properties for the report. Right click on the report, select report in the drop down. On the Data tab, in the window for the record source, change it from the name of the table to the name of the query you are using.

Alan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.