Errors when they prepare their reports at the same time

We have an application in Access 2000. The application and the data base are on the server, accesed through the network. There is a group of employees that accesed it at the same time to prepare their warehouse's reports. We have problems when they prepare their reports at the same time, they get errors in their reports. How can we correct this situation without leaving the data base in the network and installing a copy of the application on each computer? :?:

What kind of errors? Also, is Access doing any kind of special handling to prepare the reports?

For some of my apps, certain reports require very complex calculations and business rules, and I manage the process by writing interim results to temporary tables. Obviously, if two users tried to run the same reports at the same time, they could "trip over" each other.

I usually manage it by putting the tables that hold the interim results in the "front-end" files; if each user has his/her own front-end, their reports will not trip each other up.

Patrick

Error explanation

The error occur when they access the application and generate the same report at the same time. The report is not so complicated, it does not have any query but it has two subreports. The error occur in one of the subreports and is that the data is printed out of the order that it is supposed to. Ex High, low, medium) and the correct order of the levels are Low, Medium, High. They verify the data and it's in the correct order.

How is the app deployed? One MDB file, or separate front-end/back-end files? If it is FE/BE split, does each user have his/her own FE?

The application is an MDB file

The application is an MDB file that they access through the network. Also the database is in the network. Everyone access the same application file.

In that case, you should consider splitting the application into front-end and back-end files, with each user having his/her own front-end. That should eliminate the report issues you described.

You mean to install the application...

You mean to install the application on each computer and keep the database in the network server? We were trying to avoid this solution because in an update we will have to install it in all the computers. Is this the only solution?

That is the best practice.

Can I split the database.....

Can I split the database into front-end and back-end even though the application is a reporting tool and the data is imported in it? :?:

Absolutely. Import the data into the BE.

Thank you very much...

Thanks for your technical support. I did it and it worked perfectly.

Glad to help 8)

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.