jaymin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2003

Unhappy stop the "data entry" field from changing when a form opens

I hope someone can help me,

I have a form with a combo box and two subforms, the combo box has a list of names, when one of these is selected the first subform is populated with a list of clothing types that is related to the name selected from the form combo box, when one of the clothing types of the first subform is selected it allows you to enter the second subform so you can enter new data about the clothing that was selected from the first subform.
    In the properties of the second subform i have the "allow additions" and the "data entry" fields set to "Yes".
    My question is, when i run the form and select the name from the form combo box the "allow additions" in the second subform stays "yes" but the "data entry" field changes to "no", when i open the subform in design view these fields are still set to "yes" is there a way of stopping the "data entry" field from changing to "no'' when the form/subform opens.
    Peter

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Why do you want Data Entry set to Yes? This causes the form to only allow new entries and not display existing records.

Could you provide the project for analysis? Attach to post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

yes that is what i want to do, to only add new entries and not allow anyone to see previous entries
    Peter

June7 is offline VIP
    The main form is unbound? The second subform is not a subform of the first subform (form/subform/subsubform)?

Can you provide project for analysis?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7,
    Thank you for your reply, the second subform is a subform of the first subform, did you want me to send the project to you? I want the second subform to be for additions only, no need to view, edit or delete any previous data
    Peter

June7
    Have included database, how it works is when you open it up select form "2-startup", in the combo box select Gold Coast, this opens the main form with the combo box and the 2 subforms, in the combo box select jim christiansen, you will see the first subform will be populated with 4 items coats and trousers, now you will see that the second subform gets populated with data, I do not want the second subform to have data in it , just a subform able to enter the single entry, that is all i need, that would happen if i could stop that data entry property changing to "no" by it self.

Peter

June7 is offline VIP
    The only thing I can conclude is that the main form dictates this state for all forms.

Alternatives:
    1. disable the Navigation bar and with code move direct to new record, use Single Form setting
    2. open a 'popup' form to a new record.
    3. unbound form and save data programmatically

June7,
    Thank you for you help, I have found a solution by using cascading combo boxs
    peter

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.