austinpeay1999 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

access student database template

In the student database template in access 2007, I am trying to input data in the guardian tab in student details either by clicking save and new or using the drop down combo box and selecting a guardian that is already in the guardian table. It seems to not work. I can select a guardian and then when I hit close or save and close from the sub form it will not appear on the guardian tab on the student details. Please help. I am not very knowledgable in access 2007. If you could get it to work and e-mail it or post it to me so i can just cut and paste the tab into the student details form that would be great. I am stumped and have tried everything I know to do. Thanks

bigroo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Hi Austinpeay1999,

Works for me!!

Not too sure why its not working for you!!
    Are you receiving any error messages?

austinpeay1999 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I can't even get the template to work right from access 2007. DO you have a working template you could send me? The data just isn't staying from sub form to main form (guardian tab) in student detail form. Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroo View Post
    Hi Austinpeay1999,

Works for me!!

Not too sure why its not working for you!!
    Are you receiving any error messages?

Windows XP Access 2007

Good Morning Austinpeay1999,

Sorry for delay in getting thos to you, but here is the zipped student database.

Thanks

hamzar is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi,

If I wanted to add a second guardian to this database via a form rather than a table, any ideas how I would do that and how would I retrieve that data?

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi Hamzar,

When you open the database, it should open to the Student List. On the sub menu above search you should see Guardian List, click on this and it will open to are table view to show what you have added already. If you wish to add a new Guardian name via a form , simply on the new hyperlink and it will open to a form view for entry!!

marianlibrarian is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    This does NOT work. I enter a new student. I click on the "Guardian Information" tab. I click on the "New" link. I enter the guardian information. I click save and new. I close this new form as I don't have another guardian for this student. This leaves the original new student form on the screen. When I click on the guardian tab --------- there is nothing.

And if this template works for you --- PLEASE ---- don't tell me with the gleeful exclamation points. I need to hear from someone who knows what is going wrong.

PS - I downloaded the above zip file and reentered a student and exactly the same thing is occurring.

Edit: One more thing, the guardian is there, it is just not associated with the student. What is the point of having a guardian list if I don't know who they are guardian of???

Work Around: I finally figured out how to make them connect. Enter the guardian using the "new" link and fill out the form. Then save this information. It will not appear in the student's record. Save and close the student record.

Now open up the student record, go to the guardian tab. The info will not be there. Do not click on the "new" link, click on the name field beside it and start typing the guardian information. The rest of the guardian information will magically appear in those fields just like you had entered them in the previous form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.