maxx3 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Problem with query

hi Friends can some one help me with this query I am very new to access and I realy need some help I'm making query by entering a part of a notary surname or name or index number to find the notary volume number by year but it's not working can anyone have a look please I have made an attachment of my database but you can only make a query on the first two names Abela Anthony with index number 1256 and Abela Christine with index number 1301 beacause I'm still entering data I wish it will be that it works with ever part of name or index number thank a lot. Any suggestions please
    Regards Maxx3
    Last edited by maxx3; 06-06-2009 at 12:27 AM.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    It seems to be working for me Maxx. What problem are you having?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi thanks for your interest .The problem is that there are several surnames in the db which are the same and I wish if it's possible to separate them by first entering part of the surname and then enter part of the name because if I enter Abela lets say Abela 98 all Abela will come up and I want to select which Abela I want by entering First the surname & then the name. When I search by index number it works fine thanks

Regards
    Maxx3

Do you know that if you put the criteria on the same line in each field that it is and AND and on a different line it is an OR?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi yes I know that and I have changed it several times but it gives no good result if you try I like I told you to input in the query abe for Abela It will come up with Abela Anthony and Abela Christine I tried to put the same code in critiria under the Surname field and under the Name field but it's still the same in the Surname field I wrote Like"*"&[Enter Surname or any part of Surname]&"*" and in the name field I wrote Like"*"&[enter name or any part of name]&"*" and now I have two query boxies that's good but like I said before if you write abe For Abela all Abela will come up and this problem comes up when both Abela have Volumes of the same date that for example 1998 but the problem will increase when more Volume dates will be added with same name and same volume date I hope I have explained my self good

You have Like "*" & [Enter Notary name or any part of name] & "*" in most of the criteria. You will need to change [Enter Notary name or any part of name] in order for Access to ask for the information again. I change the SurName criteria to [Enter SurName or any part of SurName] and it then asks for the SurName AND the Name and of course the date.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi thanks that's beautiful it work very good thank to you it looked so simple but it's been given me a hell of a lot of trouble thanks again very much obliged do you if the db good do you think I can start entering data does it look stable

I would go ahead and enter data. Remember to backup on a regular basis. Maybe every day at first.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks very much I'll do that

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.