unicorn is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Calculating a date range

I have a large database of sheep with lamb id, a mother id and the year of birth for each lamb normally a sheep will have a litter every year but some years the mother has no lamb and is therefore missing from the data I want to find a way to calculate the range of years a mother is fertile attached is a small part of the database

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you did I have now figured out a way to do it if there is an easier way then it would be great if anyone was willing to share it
    I made a query with the mothers id (DamID) and also year grouped by min and year grouped by max I think I have to now export this to excel to subtract one year from the other is this true or can I also do that in access?
    Thanks in advance

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I did not see the lambID or motherID fields in the example DB you posted. By the way can't a lamb eventually be a mother and have a litter of her own? Do you have a table in your main database that handles the mother/father/offspring relationship?

hi jzwp11
    thanks for your reply sorry I wasn't very clear with my terms the lamb id is SheepID in the data and mother id is called GeneticDamID. I am building a multigenerational database that goes back 4 generations and so yes in my main database the parents are all linked I am doing all the calculations in a single table before linking GeneticDamID in one table to sheep ID in a copy of the original table (and the same for SireID, grandsire etc...) but that's probably more information than you need

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    I still didn't see a sheepID, so I would have to assume that SireID is the offspring's ID. I also have to assume that the Date of Birth field refers to the offspring rather than the mother. If my assumptions are correct, a query like this will get the date of birth for the earliest offspring and the date of birth for the most recent offspring

query name: qryDOBRanges
    SELECT [example births].GENETICDAMID, Min([example births].DATEOFBIRTH) AS MinOfDATEOFBIRTH, Max([example births].DATEOFBIRTH) AS MaxOfDATEOFBIRTH
    FROM [example births]
    GROUP BY [example births].GENETICDAMID;

You can use the above query in another query that calculates the range in years.

SELECT qryDOBRanges.GENETICDAMID, qryDOBRanges.MinOfDATEOFBIRTH, qryDOBRanges.MaxOfDATEOFBIRTH, datediff("m",MinOfdateOfBirth,maxOFdateOFBIRTH)/12 as YearsFertile
    FROM qryDOBRanges;

Now as to my earlier question about how you handle the relationship between the sheep (mother/father/offspring), all sheep, no matter whether they are father, mother or an offspring belong in 1 table and then you would use another table to show the relationship of one sheep to another

tblSheep
    -pkSheepID primary key, autonumber
    -DOB
    other fields

tblRelatedSheep
    -pkRelatedSheepID primary key, autonumber
    -fkPSheepID foreign key to tblSheep (indicates the parent)
    -fkSSheepID foreign key to tblSheep (indicates the child)

As an example, let's say that an offspring has a pkSheepID=555, it's mother has a pkSheepID =200 and its father has a pkSheepID =100
    There would be two records in tblRelatedSheep as follows:

pkRelatedSheepID|fkPSheepID|fkSSheepID
    1|200|555
    2|100|555

It was unclear to me whether this is how you have your table set up.

thanks again this is method is working well and thanks also for the advise on generational table setup - the way you describe is how i have set it up
    best wishes and smiles sent your way

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    You're welcome. Good luck with the project & the sheep.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.